Retro Style Clock from Everyday Items

Good morning all. Was hemmed up for a bit a few months ago with Covid, and started designing a clock made from stuff around me in the kitchen, and brought it to life on the GlowForge.

Let me know what you think… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgWz4W_MIFI

14 Likes

I enjoyed your video. The clock is very fun and attractive. The whimsical shapes and different woods are nice together.

7 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Welcome to the community forum! Nice work on the clock. I’m curious as to why you had so much char? It looked like you were using proofgrade materials that were masked, so I would think the standard Glowforge settings for cutting would have been fine. I noticed that on the big back piece it cut twice. Not knocking anything you did, I’m just surprised you had that much char. And I loved your burnishing method. I’ll have to try that.

6 Likes

Thank you @ellencadwell! About time I finally joined the fun here :slight_smile: Prior to this project, I recently did a bunch of leather work on the GF, and it needed a severe cleaning, which I always put off doing, so it needed to work extra hard. Took the time the other day to give it a very thorough cleaning, and now it now cuts like it is brand new.

4 Likes

Nice work, thanks for sharing that journey. :sunglasses:
For cleaning the smoke stain, I found full strength household ammonia far superior to alcohol. Doesn’t matter for a one-off project, but I needed to process thousands of two-sided tokens, so for a lot of cleaning (including the machine interior) ammonia cuts that stuff instantly.

10 Likes

Thank you! I’ll have to try that, thanks for the suggestion on the ammonia!

2 Likes

For those out there with low bandwidth for videos:
@gvarosky Retro Style Clock from Everyday Items GIF

The origin story is fun!

15 Likes

Next time I have to draw the clock and assign the correct time for my medicare assessment, I’m drawing this. Should cause some head scratching.

8 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes