Rhino3D work flow (.svg we don't need no stinking .svg)

@markevans36301

Thanks man, I truly appreciate the comment.

3 Likes

@wesleyjames

Based on your comment, did a little bit of testing…color really plays no factor with Rhino. Layer position is the determining factor. Ill edit the post.

Side note: Killer puzzle…

1 Like

Interesting…I wonder if it’s a pdf vs svg layering trait or something else entirely…

1 Like

Really good work.

1 Like

Really nice and a great write-up.

1 Like

Its gotta be some attribute within the PDF file that references the layering in Rhino. PDF’s do support layering in Acrobat Pro

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-layers.html

I use Rhino to generate all of my files, so this is great. I will have to give it a try.
- Quick questions- When you were setting up the template you started with inches as the units? Also was there a specific size you made the dimensions of the grid, or did you just leave that as the default?

So far I have been creating files in Rhino, keeping each operation as a separate layer. When I am done, I select all the objects I want cut/engraved and do a Export Selected and then export as an .AI file (Adobe Illustrator) Its an extra step, but I can open in Illustrator and save as an .SVG which I can upload to the app. This could save some time for me. Thanks!!

1 Like

Yes, I work in inches for design, but this should also work regardless of the units you use. I used the default grid in Rhinos “Small Objects - Inches”, I have a different template with a custom grid size I use for most of my work.

From what I have gathered, the PDF file should not care about what measurement system you use, it does care about the layers. Since you are already doing that, it should eliminate a step for you.

Just be sure when you export, you export at a 1:1 scale. Rhino defaults to the scale as last seen on the monitor.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, nice write up to must be the last name…

lolz…quite possibly…

Pruitt

At the very least, we have a bad ass crest… :wink:

1 Like

Terrific! I’m forwarding to Mark, our CTO - he’s a rhino guy.

1 Like

Hey like that one i like this one two

2 Likes

Thank you!!!

3 Likes

Hey there everyone. New Glowforge user here (but experienced laser cutter user). Being an old dog who didn’t want to learn new tricks, I found this thread helpful so that I could continue using Rhino for my laser cutting needs. However, I’ve hit a bump in the road. When using hatches to engrave, the Rhino to PDF conversion is turning hatches into a mesh or something. The attached image illustrates my dilemma. Has anyone else come across this, and if so, how do you deal with it?

Thanks!

I use Rhino for all of my designs as well. Export your art as a DXF. Open it in Illustrator and edit it as needed. Then save that as a PDF.

Thank you so much for your response. Shortly after I posted I tried the dxf route, and imported in inkscape, then saved as an *.svg. That worked like a champ with the exception that it suddenly engraved quite a bit deeper than prior tests. Since I don’t have Illustrator, and am completely inept with it anyway, I’m trying work other arounds.

However, last night I was trying out something else and I couldn’t get inkscape to open the dxf, despite fidgeting with multiple export settings. Ulitmately, I downloaded a free PDF creator (since I’m on a brand new computer I only had the Microsoft PDF printer which for whatever reason doesn’t have the capability to create custom page sizes). This worked to get me cutting, but this particular test did not involve engraving, so I don’t know if this different pdf creator handles hatches differently.

Glowforge team, if you’re listening, we Rhino users would greatly appreciate the ability for the Glowforge to read *.3dm file formats in future firmware updates. For what it’s worth, and you may be aware of this already, but McNeel & Associates (makers of Rhinoceros 3D), are also based in Seattle.

Significant portions of the Glowforge unit’s industrial design were created in Rhino, and our CTO and cofounder agrees with your request. :wink:

I suspect the reason for the different engrave depth was that one wound up as a bitmap and one wound up as a vector, although other explanations are possible.

4 Likes

Dear heavenly father, I feel like I just sat through an advanced mandarin speaking class and I’ve only ever had kindergarten ABC’s in English. How do you learn all this? I’ve had this machine one week and it’s been sitting here one week, and I have not the first clue I don’t understand any of what you all just talked about at all I’m in trouble, I have a note that my husband wrote me that I would like to engrave on a piece of wood and maybe possibly make a frame around it with some braided trim that I saw in the Glowforge premium files. I have no idea where to start and I’ve ordered some of the vinyl from Glowforge because I’ve been asked to do vinyl on carrying bags for a quilt field and I have no idea where to start so I guess I should start praying and reading can’t even get ink scapes to load on my MacBook Pro Something about safari extension preferences? Holy cow.

2 Likes

You probably want to start with something like Inkscape. Rhino is not necessary to design things for laser cutting. Most of us don’t use it at all.

Be patient with yourself. Take it a little at a time. The Logos by Nick YouTube channel has some great tutorials. Here’s a good Inkscape intro:

There is a Glowforge palette for Inkscape that lets you separate operations: [edited]

For general Glowforge basics, there is a great starter resource here:

6 Likes

Do the little projects in getting started then follow @evermorian advice.
When you have done these you won’t feel so gobsmacked and we’ll be able to give more direct help.

4 Likes