Rhombic dodecahedron with the cube inside

Last year Adam Savage and Matt Parker made a fantastic build of a rhombic dodecahedron, linked below. I got inspired to make one, but not quite as ambitious as one way mirrors and LEDs. Not yet anyway. Instead I tried to make an artistic shape that showed the cube that the shape is based on.

The shape itself tends to defy all attempts to photograph it in a way that captures what it actually looks like in real life, so I just took a bunch of shots.

58 Likes

It defies all attempts to wrap my brain around what is happening inside as well! :crazy_face: However that you made it with finger edges also has my highest respect :heart_eyes:

It would be amazing with the seaglass green material that the green gets slightly deeper the more material it travels through,

7 Likes

I really should try it in different colors, at least enough to highlight the cube inside.

5 Likes

Wow! That is something that would never have occurred to my brain. Just amazing! Thanks for all the photos - the different angles help to show what’s going on inside.

8 Likes

Beautiful! Now to watch the video and end up building one. :slight_smile:

Edit: The more I look at your photos the more I see! Very cool.

8 Likes

Love it. Each polyhedral is great, but combining them is epic. I’ve also contemplated doing an infinity polyhedral after seeing their video, but it’s on a long list of to-do projects.

10 Likes

Combine with a book nook, perhaps as a Tardis?

5 Likes

Thank you for the video and you photos. You have made my brain itch.

6 Likes

Awesome work

6 Likes

That makes my brain hurt…

6 Likes

Holy crap!

4 Likes

It’s like a Tholian Web :smiley::+1:

7 Likes

OMG—— I have the same thought as you.

6 Likes

That is amazing!

4 Likes

Very nice work! Lots of facets!

6 Likes

Much like life

2 Likes

Outstanding work, think this work would be accepted at national art shows especially those that include mixed media art. Check out CaFÉ and see what options are available for art calls nationwide.

5 Likes

Awesome work!

2 Likes

That would be a great “thinking aid” sitting on my desk.

Congrats! I really like how this turned out.

2 Likes

Wow… it took me a few looks to finally figured out how you pieced it together. This is awesome work. Chapeau!

2 Likes