Richlite samples and guitar fretboards

Hmmmmm. I might still be able to work with 1/32" for engraving with color infill. Have to cut it with something else though.

Thanks for testing!

2 Likes

I thought these would be great for engraving.

4 Likes

I only have Black Richlite. The kind thatā€™s good for instrument fretboards. Maybe other types will show more contrast for scoring/engraving.

If it cuts 1/32, what is to stop you doing 10 passes? Does the cut fill up with ash? Or does it only cut right at the focal point and the kerf is not wide enough to allow the focus to be deeper?

Seems like if you can cut at all you should always be able to cut as deep as the focal range provided you can accept a V shaped cut. And is it any more V shaped than it would be if you can cut all the way through in one pass anyway?

The cut filled with crap that I had to scrape out with a razor blade. Generally the more passes you take at a piece of material the worse looking the cut will be. Yeah, technically with perfect focus, speed etc. it shouldnā€™t get too bad, but good luck with that. My rule is why would I work myself to death working with a material to get only passable results when there are so many better materials out there?

13 Likes

Iā€™m trying .19" rich lite - light brownā€¦ an epicurean cutting board I got at home goodsā€¦ so farā€¦ not getting throughā€¦ lots of char and even red coals which is disappointingā€¦ Iā€™m going to try one passā€¦ then another with the focus changed

Yeah. My rich lite is sitting on the shelf after one try. Looks like great stuff though. Will probably trade it to a luthier friend of mine for something. Or might just break out the traditional tools.

I just looked up luthier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, thinking of using it for a banjo or dulcimer fretboard. You donā€™t want to know how basic my English is, and my family has lived in Southern Maryland for 300+ years.

I perseveredā€¦using beige richliteā€¦1/8 inchā€¦ no way could o cut the stuff

I am fascinated by thisā€¦the stories of early settlers and communities.

No blue bloods. Came across as indentured servants. Most eventually made it to lower middle class.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure most all of us came over not as blue bloodsā€¦but became the backbone of this land.

1 Like