Rite of passage complete!

After a few false starts and lots of cursing , I’ve temporarily abandoned Fusion 360 for my designing and turned to Illustrator instead.

And behold! I have made this never-before-seen innovative cubic storage device with articulated closure, patent pending.

Do the Glowforge forums have a badge for “Made My First Box”? :grin:

Next up: locking mechanisms for puzzle boxes.

22 Likes

That is some very nice work. I like the inspirational twist on the design.

2 Likes

Sure it’s just a box, but it’s a very nice box. I l look at my first glowforge box and I Cry.

5 Likes

Thanks! Technically, my first attempt was the pile of non-interlocking faces in my scraps bin. But since the pieces never fit together, I’m not sure you can call it a box, so I’m just going to ignore that one. :thinking:

I can’t wait to try out a little ornamentation and better wood. Exciting days!

4 Likes

We’ve discussed through the years about making various rites of passage to differentiate folks on the forum and do Discourse one better in permissions and roles. Some of the other significant markers are:

escutcheon for the start button
naming a Glowforge
edge lit acrylic
inlay
earring
warranty replacement
inline fan
case mod

I’m sure there are others folks will chime in with.

5 Likes

It is indeed a very nice box!

2 Likes

The warranty replacement is a rite of passage that I hope not to participate in. So far my unit has been very solid, but then it sees pretty light (pun) use.

3 Likes

I only have a 50% score. I feel like an underachiever. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting hinges!

I did the same. There’s definitely a steep curve, but it’s worth the climb! I don’t use it for everything, but I find myself wanting to use it now.

1 Like

Hmm, Chain hinges, fingers matching the thickness, interesting solution to the flat lid hinges issue. Yup great job

2 Likes