River Coasters

I’ve got a new house, new workshop and I’m hoping to get back into some more laser cutting.
In the meantime I also have a new coffee table and I made these new coasters to go on it. The file and details are available on my blog.

43 Likes

Nice! I enjoyed your write up.

6 Likes

Very nice play on the table style.
Good to see you around Martin! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Very nice!!

5 Likes

Congrats on the new home and shop man! We would really like to see how you laid out your shop, I enjoy the pics of workspaces almost as much as the product. As always, thank you for your generosity!

7 Likes

It’s totally just a laser cutter pushed against one wall at the moment and all the other junk filling all the spaces. I’m slowly bringing it up to speed again and blogging it all again. Got some plans to build myself a new laser cutter.

8 Likes

Very nice

3 Likes

That is very nice! Coffee table and tributaries! We have missed seeing you about for a while. Now with a Glowforge, I have all these ideas for furniture that a really big laser able to handle furniture-sized pieces would be so great but that is unlikely in the foreseeable future.

This is a small example…

6 Likes

i love a river table with river tiles :slight_smile:

Nice take-off on the epoxy versions.

7 Likes

The trouble is that laser materials are not suitable for larger pieces of furniture, you want hard woods instead of soft woods and they don’t cut very well.
That mini table is lovely but you need a CNC to make one full size. Good job the design/software is similar for both tools.

6 Likes

Nice! I like the efficient way you planned the coasters. I hate to waste materials.

For some reason your blogger link took me to my own blogger account login page. But I was able to find your blog tgrough the link in your profile.

5 Likes

Love the table. Coasters are great addition.

7 Likes

Nice write-up.

5 Likes

I love seeing other people’s workshops. It gives me hope that someday I might actually be able to use mine.

6 Likes

We specifically moved so I could get a double detached garage to turn into a workshop. I’m slowly blogging my progress. The kids will be back in their new school next week and I’ll be free all day to work on/in it.
Perhaps there should be a workshop thread for here.
(Picture is not my workshop, just a shed for tools that I don’t want in my workshop)

7 Likes

The table is wonderful, and the coasters are perfect! So good to see you! Congratulations on your new home and shop!

4 Likes

Thanks for the link!
Relocating your world is such a drag, and I’ve only had to do it twice in 45 years. Don’t wear yourself too thin… and welcome home!

6 Likes

Curious how well the acrylic river pieces hold up to a hot coffee mug?

1 Like

So far seems to be absolutely fine. My wife drinks a lot of hot drinks coasters are showing no signs of any issues.

3 Likes

I updated the coasters, the design on the left is actually much nicer because the river runs off the edges. A simple spar underneath the coaster connects the two halves together

11 Likes