Rock Hunters

I decided to use my Glowforge to make components for a tabletop game I’m making. So I used it create the box, inserts for the box and some of the game pieces. I’m really pleased with how this has turned out so far.

The only challenge with it has been focusing on the EVA foam, for some reason the Glowforge reports that I can’t do that so the positioning is always off a bit, which means I have to leave a fairly large margin of error.

38 Likes

Sounds like a neat project. You could manually put the thickness in, so that the GF doesn’t need to focus. I’m assuming you’ve cleaned the camera… Maybe the lighting is off… What if you masked it with some tape? It might focus then.

7 Likes

The camera still seems off when entering a manual thickness but only for this material. I’ll try the masking idea, thanks!

2 Likes

I have had this issue before also. I just used some paper or masking on part of the material to allow it to focus on, then it seemed to work.

6 Likes

I don’t know that game, but that’s a great looking case!

5 Likes

Looks great. Is that game any fun?

4 Likes

It’s my own game design :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m biased, I designed the game. However those who have play-tested it for me say it is.

6 Likes

So coooool! I’m friends with a few RPG designers. Game design is not easy!

6 Likes

This looks amazing. Having the evafoam really makes it pop!

1 Like

I like it. Just wondering if success is gonna spoil it…*

(*Dad Joke: Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (1957) - IMDb )

3 Likes

Nice!

8 Likes

Gniess!

5 Likes

I needed to create some bases for the asteroids. Turns out you can print a lot of them from medium clear acrylic. The only pain is removing the mask :joy:

7 Likes

The mask sticks to sticky stuff far easier than any other. I use masking tape, or a larger piece of masking if I have it and drag it across the parts needing weeding. if an edge curls just a bit It will weld onto the passing sticky and be easily pulled off :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you are making sheets of circle bases in the future, consider making sheets of Gorilla Tape: Make Gorilla Tape Sheets -- Best way to remove lots of small bits of masking

3 Likes

Damn, that is just genius level thinking right there - I’m going to give that a go next time! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Watched the Tic Tac video. She have the nicest speaking voice. Very soothing for my ears. You need to do audio books!!

1 Like

Starting to see copies of the game out there in the wild. It’s a heart warming moment that’s only possible because of my Glowforge.

10 Likes

Looks cool. Good luck with it!