Rock Me Archimedes - (a.ka. my road to recovery)

I wanted to share a special post (at least for me). Recently (about 3 weeks ago, I had brain surgery). Going in to the surgery, I knew I would have some time to recover so I tried to plan some activities that I could do that would help me to recover. Of course very high on that list was my Glowforge. I figured, it wouldn’t be too physically taxing, it would allow me to really use my mind and would be something I would enjoy doing.

So I picked a project, Rock Me Archimedes. I thought it would be pretty simple and yet because I had to make it from scratch (no design to start from) it would still be a challenge. Well, surprisingly it was more of a challenge than I thought it would be. First, after the surgery, I was struggling to stay awake much less focus; so, week one was occasionally trying to think about how I might tackle the project. For the second week, I would spend a few minutes a few times a day trying to work on the design. The top came out pretty quickly (even though I made a critical error), but the trick was the fulcrum. Not only was I going to need to create a living hinge from scratch, but I also wanted to come up with a good way to attach it to the top. I spent a lot of time struggling with this. Every time I thought I had it, I would put the design together, print it and find out that it wouldn’t work. After many redesigns, I finally got it work. Next I wanted an inner tray. This presented a few problems and again my recovery was playing a factor. I kept making simple mistakes that I felt I should be avoiding. For example making the tray too big to fit under the top. Sounds simple, but at this point nothing was simple for me. I did come up with a creative addition to the tray that not only kept the marbles separated but also accounted for the rib I wanted in the living hinge. The bottom of the tray has a slot for it. By the time I was done and the bottom fulcrum and tray were working, I put it all together only to finally go back and read the rules. (yep, I had missed an obvious fact. The original top I only engraved lines between the wholes for the marbles)

So back to the drawing board. I had to engrave the lines (I thought about cutting and gluing but opted for engraving to keep a much more finished look).

In the end, this project has taken me several weeks and has been a big part of my recovery. But it also taught me something else. It reminded me to be patient. I can’t count the number of mistakes and redesign moments in this project. Certainly many of them were due to the my surgery and recovery. But, if I had been more patient and focused and taken a bit more time in the planning and design digitally, it may have really reduced the trash can full of mistakes (yep that much material) I made.

I am very happy with the result and the journey I took to get there. I am super excited to be back and share this with the community.

And for anyone wondering, my recovery continues to go very well and soon the only evidence that I had the surgery will be a 4 inch scar on my head and my better health.

P.S. Other than the marbles, this was entirely made from MDF. In the future, I may print it out of nicer woods, but for now, I am happy with the result.

Edit…Feb23, 2020…
This project continues to teach me. After having everything done, I was testing the balance and finding that the marbles weren’t having enough of an effect. After re-learning a bit of the physics for levers, I came to the conclusion that I hadn’t considered the weight of the MDF. This meant I had to think about how to really lighten the load. so I first did a test by engraving holes in the bottom (had to engrave so they wouldn’t cut the top). This showed me that I was on the right track. So I re-designed the top to have the holes hidden in the middle layers. so the top and bottom don’t show them.

The board on the left was from the original pictures after I engraved holes, the board on the left is the new design with those holes cut fully through the middle layers but hidden.

60 Likes

Congratulations on your improved health and your awesome design! It’s good to have something to focus on.

7 Likes

Wow! I am really glad you are coming along from such a great challenge :face_with_head_bandage: It is a fascinating design challenge as well. Sliding slots like that are very difficult.

7 Likes

I love this, and I am so happy you are back!!

6 Likes

Brilliant job on it! That kind of manipulation can be hard even without brain surgery to recover from. Glad to hear you’re now good to go. :sunglasses: :+1:

7 Likes

Great project and excellent write up. I like the way you attached your fulcrum. Glad to hear that you are better too. :blush:

7 Likes

Wow, amazing project! So complicated. I couldn’t do that now, much less after brain surgery. Great news about your recovery.

6 Likes

Bravo! I love it! I never saw a game like that before and your design is top notch.

Thank you for sharing.

6 Likes

Beautifully done, way to fight!

7 Likes

Great design, and well-fought battle! Congratulations! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

#1, glad that You are ok. That’s some scary stuff…
#2, this turned out great! I love the design and how the fulcrum part slides into the top board, very smart

This is a great project! Well done!

6 Likes

Wow! Recovering from ankle surgery affected my design capabilities for a while—brain surgery would have far more of an impact, so I’m super impressed with your fortitude and stick-to-it-iveness. Great job, keep up the good work!

4 Likes

I had heard of Archimedes and his lever to move the world but was unfamiliar with the game.
FANTASTIC
And with half your brain tied behind your back! :smile:

7 Likes

Awesome design! Great write up too.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words. As most of my posts show, I really like boardgames and this was one I thought would be really fun to make. Simple rules, can make a nice table piece. Still working on my finishing skills, but each project gets a little easier.

2 Likes

The biggest challenge (besides the previously stated) was that I had the living hinge end in the sliding slot. That meant I had to come up with a way to make it strong and still keep the fit I wanted. Having the totally open top so I could put the try in it with marbles and having one end open and one end closed so it would know exactly where to stop all added to the complexity.

2 Likes

That saying was one of my Dad’s favorites. It is one of the reasons I chose the project. My Dad is not in to games at all, but he does like wood work and I think he appreciates things I make so I may make one for him in the future.

3 Likes

Well done on both fronts - design and brain recovery! Most of us struggle like this getting our more challenging designs worked out without brain surgery. I’m amazed you got this far - I know it can take a long time before your brain does what you want it to do and you think it should do.

3 Likes

Kudo’s on so many fronts. First, the brain surgery was an obvious success, because your higher brain function is still on point. This is a great build.

But I think what impresses me most was the foresight you displayed. The brain is a muscle… not in the true physical sense, but in that it needs to be exercised, and post-surgical therapy is a must for any muscle. The brain is no exception. I’m quite sure that you have new neural pathways that you would not have had if you hadn’t planned ahead for your own therapy.

My hat’s off to you!

5 Likes

Agreed, this is a big part of whyI wanted to jump in so soon, But it was also because it was fun!

Making it both made it easier.

2 Likes