Rock Paper

Hi there. I just bought some amazing rock paper to cut on my Glowforge but want to double check if safe. I appreciate your feedback. Here is a copy of how it’s made below:

Rock Paper is simply a semi synthetic paper made from Rock. It is a combination of mineral powder (>75%) and a small quantity (<25%) of non-toxic resin combined to create an environmentally friendly paper. The production of Rock Paper requires no water, so the papermaking process incurs no water pollutants. Once used, Rock Paper will start to degrade under the proper environmental conditions of high heat, moisture and UV light. Most importantly, in producing Rock Paper, the harvesting of trees is unnecessary, thereby safeguarding the natural environment’s beauty and biodiversity for all living beings. Rock Paper also has beautiful printing capabilities and a unique texture and feel. Because the paper is fibreless, it does not absorb ink like regular paper and also uses less ink than regular paper. Images stay much crisper and cleaner because the ink doesn’t bleed. Rock paper is water-resistant and inherently strong and durable.

Environmental Information

Rock Paper uses natural minerals – mainly limestone and Calcium Carbonate – to manufacture this synthetic paper making it environmentally friendly due to it not requiring any trees
Does not require the use of water during manufacturing
Recyclable and naturally degradable
Waste materials generated during manufacturing are re-introduced back into the process and there are no waste contaminants to pollute rivers and streams
The energy required to produce a tonne on Rock Paper is between 25% – 50% less than pulp or synthetic paper

4 Likes

I’d ask them what the resins are made of. If it’s a chloride I’d be concerned.

For general safety info, check out #4:

Got an url for the rock paper?

6 Likes

This is where I bought the paper from:

This is where I found more info on rock paper.

3 Likes

From The Rock Paper Store website:

7 Likes

Yes I saw this but when I messaged the owner they were not sure. Perhaps they misunderstood my question??? So that’s why I’m trying to confirm before I cut it in my laser.

4 Likes

I would definitely ask about the resin.

But really I just got on to thank you, because now I definitely need some rock paper. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is really neat paper and feels so great and it’s waterproof :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

@cynd11 if I’m going down, I’m taking you with me. :wink:

6 Likes

Hahaha! Already got some. At least, what I have is Terraskin Rock paper, which is a combination of calcium carbonate and a polyethylene based resin. It never occurred to me to try and laser cut it though. Hmmmm…

6 Likes

Very intriguing! Looks like they are located about 22 minutes south of us … but, no store front. I’ll have to have some!

4 Likes

So this is all interesting, but what’s the draw here?

Like what is this stuff good for? Does it have a specific purpose that it’s made to do?

1 Like

Interesting, how do you use yours?

1 Like

I make cards … and I’m thinking it would be awesome for backgrounds or pieces which add a nice feature.

2 Likes

People use it with art and such. Suppos to be great to print on also. It’s amazing actually at some of the flowers and lanterns I’ve seen. But I want to use my for something different.

2 Likes

The paper I got is beautiful. I think you would love it!

1 Like

Haven’t used it in years. I got a pad of it just because it looked interesting. If I recall, I had trouble with getting some types of media to dry on the paper (similar to Yupo paper). Like @ptodd, I’m a card maker and was probably trying to make interesting backgrounds. I can’t think of another use for it at the moment. It’s kind of floppy, not very rigid, so I don’t think it would be good for laser cut cards like the ones that recently appeared in the Glowforge catalog. But maybe it comes in thicker versions.

3 Likes

Hey! A familiar face :slight_smile:

So, there are a lot of great points on this thread so far with making sure there is no chlorine in the material. I would recommend doing a Beilstein Test. That can confirm that the material does not have chlorine, which is the biggest worry on any material IMO.

I can’t wait to see what you make :slight_smile: :heart:

2 Likes

I got a variety pack. Some were thicker than others and some also were more sheer than others. I want to do some papercuts that have a lot of fine detail that I don’t feel a Cricut machine would achieve as crisp and delicate.

4 Likes

Hey there! Yes, I’m your IG stalker😂 I will read up on this test. The owner is contacting the creator/inventor for me also.
I have visions in my mind of what I think I want to accomplish but a lot of times they are better in my mind than the real thing 😵‍💫
Plus, I think I may have a paper fetish🤔

5 Likes

Well okay, now you are making me think I need to pull that stuff out and give it a go. If I do, I’ll let you know.

6 Likes