Rocket Launches in Florida

I’m starting a thread to show some photos of rocket launches from the Space Coast of Florida.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Bandwagon-1

Launched April 7, 2024 at 7:16 PM from KSC LC-39A. This is the first of SpaceX’s Bandwagon ride-share missions, targeting a low Earth orbit with an inclination of approximately 45.4 degrees. There were 11 spacecraft onboard the Falcon 9.

The booster returned for a touchdown at Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station about 7.5 minutes after liftoff. This was the 14th launch and landing for B1073.

ULA Delta IV Heavy - NROL-70

This was the final launch of the Delta IV Heavy and the final launch in the Delta IV family of rockets. after a 6-decade history of launches. The largest of the Delta 4 family, the Heavy version features three Common Booster Cores mounted together to form a triple-body rocket.

Today’s rocket launched a classified spy satellite cargo for the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office.

23 Likes

Man that’s awesome. How loud is it from where you shoot?

7 Likes

Delta IV has its place in History. Salute.
Thanks for the shots spaceman! Sharing this on the forum allows many of us to live vicariously through you. :sunglasses:
I wonder about the sound also, you know, the auditory that brings reality to what you’re seeing and raises the hair on your arms.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Great shot of the Heavy last launch. I watched from Orlando, but it was so cloudy that we only saw a short glimpse of it and the contrail.

6 Likes

it varies with atmospheric conditions. Some days it is like being on the nearest causeway and other days we don’t hear anything at all. It generally takes a couple of minutes to get the sound from where I’m at in the backyard.

I had a hard time even seeing the rocket. I got 3 pictures and then quit trying.

7 Likes

These shots are awesome! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing! It’s so awesome!

2 Likes

Not a rocket launch (yet!) but here is the Artemis 2 Orion Capsule going into the Altitude chamber for testing in the O&C building at OLS. The chambers were originally used on the Apollo program and are historical landmarks.

Here is a story to go along with the video too.

Altitude Chamber Gets Upgrade for Artemis II, Spacecraft Testing Begins - NASA

5 Likes