Roll-Media ID Inserts

A lot of what I do at work involves material on rolls with a 3"-diameter core; Vinyl, Poly, Paper, Canvas.

To help keep myself organized, I designed a little core-insert to label them. I “designed” it in my head about 18 months ago. I had never gotten around the actually putting digital-pen to screen-paper. So I built this while my first project was printing.

First version in purple on the left, fit but was a little tight. Also, I put my engraved label in the handle cutout, 'cause of I’m S-M-R-T. Second version I enlarged and cleaned up the cutout for the “spring” and rounded the other side of the base for easier insertion.

Made a few more, these with a cutout of my skullymask & crossed brushes logo, since these inserts don’t need to be solid and I wanted to maximize my material.

Installed:

56 Likes

Brilliant! And the kind of thing that you would think you could do by hand, but getting it right would be a serious pain.

3 Likes

What an excellent idea!
Simple, innovative and it looks very effective

3 Likes

What a fantastic way to keep track of everything! (Totally jealous of that vinyl supply, too.)

Very sharp! :grin:

3 Likes

That’s great! I love the “spring”.

5 Likes

Subtle brilliance.

3 Likes

The little cutouts will probably become lapel pins or fridge magnets.
I think they’re pretty cute.

19 Likes

These are great! I could use something like these for my smaller tubes of fabric stabilizers which I use for machine embroidery. Would be much quicker to identify them.

5 Likes

Genius idea, I would look to see these for sale on a sign supplier site.

4 Likes

Looks like you have a good handle on the design process (pun intended). Great idea, great result!

6 Likes

Man! You roll some fatties! You needed to create your own tool for them! Nicely done!

3 Likes