Rolling Pin Guides

Recipes often call to roll dough to a specific thickness, and I have a difficult time estimating the thickness correctly. I decided to make acrylic guides to put on the rolling pin for 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4". I thought about posting this to the free laser design section, but my wife’s grandfather hand-turned the rolling pin, so I doubt that the inside diameter of these rings will fit anyone else’s rolling pin. It is easy to design yourself, though. Once you have determined the inside diameter to make a hole that fits snugly on the rolling pin, make the outside diameter larger by twice the desired thickness and be sure that the two circles are centered exactly. All of this is very easy in Inkscape. I am sure other vector editing software would be just as capable.

57 Likes

Excellent idea! I had a set of those in wood, but I think I replaced the rolling pin they fit on. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I thought about using wood, but I thought acrylic would be easier to clean without warping or changing the inside diameter.

7 Likes

Very smart idea!

4 Likes

Excellent practical cut.

4 Likes

Oh definitely! I like the acrylic idea much better.

2 Likes

This is great, but my family will wonder what happened to my “rustic” biscuits.

7 Likes

Stick your thumb in the center of each one, and the biscuits will still look rustic, but they will cook uniformly.

8 Likes

What a clever and practical cut!

4 Likes

Great idea. I have a rolling pin with something similar and I love the uniformity it gives.

3 Likes

Thank you for this idea!

3 Likes

That is absolute genius! Way to think outside of the box

3 Likes

This is a great idea.

3 Likes

Terrific use of the GF! Great solution!

3 Likes

Brilliant idea! I love the practical projects. You could even personalize the wider ones for gifts.

5 Likes

The problem with using them for gifts, is that unless you are going to also supply the rolling pin, you need to borrow the recipient’s rolling pin to ensure that the fit is correct. I am planning to make a set for my sister-in-law. She has another of her grandfather’s hand made rolling pins, and I am confident that there will be enough variation in diameter that the ones that fit my wife’s rolling pin will not fit her sister’s.

5 Likes

He also needs to flick flour in his face before carrying them out like the mom that made the rice krispie treats in that funny TV ad. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Great job! I have these for my rolling pin … love them.

1 Like

Excellent!!!

1 Like