Roman Dice Tower reconstruction/modification

My husband pointed me to this this week … https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/2016/02/03/the-roman-dice-tower-from-vettweiss-froitzheim-vettweis-froitzheim-romisches-wurfelturm-aus-bronze/

… and therefore these happened.

The two in Katalox are fairly close to the original (the best I can make out). The one in Padauk is heavily modified into a two sided tower with sides that fold etc. and it contains ramps rather than the original folded stairs.

Happy New Year to all!

35 Likes

Hmm, how strong is that hex fence? I can’t tell how you put it together.

Nice work overall, and you chose some really great materials.

1 Like

Lol!
Good Call! Not strong enough for my liking.
I was literally just now modifying the construction on that particular item. Holds the dice fine but it wont stand up to regular handling I fear.

2 Likes

You could make 120 degree angled braces that tab into the top edge of the hex fence, (and maybe the middle too) they’d probably give it some good rigidity.

Take a look at @geek2nurse’s latest icosahedron for a good example.

Icosahedron

You might need to use plywood on the connectors to make it strong enough… hardwoods will want to split along the grain. Not saying it can’t be done, but it will add a level of difficulty.

You could also make your hex sides finger joint into each other. That’d add a lot of stability.

2 Likes

Thanks! All great ideas! Appreciate it.

1 Like

Wow, I can’t decide what I am more excited about: The fact that Romans used dice towers or that you recreated it so beautifully! Nice job!

3 Likes

Stunning! :grinning:

1 Like

That is so cool! I especially like the one with the arena. Maybe you should make a Coliseum!

1 Like

I was wondering where my abrasion bits went…
That is what those pointed elements on the origin picture look like,

1 Like

It’s dice tower mania!! I really like the variations in designs (especially at the bottoms).

1 Like

Very nice! I’ve cut the single tower, but the stairs are baffling. There appear to be three sets, from the 3 matching sets of final risers & runners. But to what do I attach them?
and
What made you decide not to put tabs on the bottom plate?
TIA