Room Air Purifier

Hello, I received my Glowforge this Saturday. I’m so excited. My only problem is the smell. My glowforge is connected to my living room window. The Glowforge is properly venting outside. My main problem is the smell once you open the glowforge door, I have young kids in the house and I’m concerned about the fume that my work creates.
I would like to buy an air purifier for my living room. I found a few that claim they will purify air that contains smoke but they are really pricey ($300-$800).
Any recommendations for a room air purifier brand?
Anybody already owned one? Do they really help with the smell coming from the machine once you open the door?
Thanks,

If it were me I’d use a booster fan on your vent line to keep the GF under negative pressure.

Search the forum for “booster fan” and you’ll find a ton of resources.

5 Likes

Thanks I’ll look for booster fan

also be sure you’re waiting for the entire cooldown procedure to finish before you open your door - that is what clears out the last of the smoke and most of the smell…

Though if you’re cutting acrylic or leather it’s always gonna smell…that’s the nature of the material!

1 Like

Some of the smell is on the actual product and isn’t in the air. No purifier is going to change that. To clear more of the smoke from your Glowforge, press the pause button just as the job finishes. The fan will continue to run until you press the button again.

9 Likes

The quickest way to reduce the leftover smell is to remove the masking immediately and put it into a ziploc bag for disposal. The resins and glue from the woods get blown onto the masking and that can stink for a while unless you pop it into a sealed container of some kind.

5 Likes

Another vote for the duct fan, far cheaper and you can let it run continuously which really helps get the odors out of the machine.

2 Likes

And be sure to keep the air intake on the right side of the machine free from any obstruction–nothing up against that side or loose piece of paper can stick against the intake holes when it’s running, not enough air coming in can cut down on the exhaust ineffieciency, and also if low enough the unit will shut down due to overheating…

1 Like

Thank you all for the advices. I will try them all. After spending 4k on the Glowforge my husband was happy I didn’t have to spend another $500+ on an air purifier.

1 Like

I spent the money on the air purifier and been happy I did so on many occasions but what I got was industrial strength and less money than many you noted.

Does a good job on smells and also other airborne things like dust from sanding and smell from popcorn in the kitchen.

I also have a Vivosun in line blower to help with the exhaust.

5 Likes

I second the BlueDri AS550. That’s what I got as well and it works great. And I use my :glowforge: in my office with other people who get cranky when I stink the place up. :smiley:

2 Likes

you’re always going to get some smell in the room, as @dklgood said, it’s on the material and the masking. getting rid of the masking quickly helps. but there will be residual smells. i don’t think you need something big and industrial like those $500+ filters. i run a cheap air filter in my office (it’s about 12 x 20) and it does a pretty good job of clearing odors. maybe not constantly so there’s never a smell, but i leave it running while i work and for a bit after i’m done and it clears things up.

we’re not talking about huge plumes of smoke, so i think a good HEPA air filter will do the trick.

3 Likes

Just curious - Is the BluDri loud?

1 Like

Not as loud as the Glowforge, low white noise. Fair amount louder than the Vivosun.

2 Likes

Oooooh! we need one of these for the kitchen on the nights when my husband stir fries and burns broccoli!!! (I came home from work Tuesday and wondered what had died in the house and was smelling so very bad so suddenly!)

3 Likes

When the housemate pops popcorn it was both oppressive smell and locks my lungs up but the Blue Whale kept the effects limited to the front of the house and filtered what tried to get by in the next room.

2 Likes

Burned brassicas are just nasty.

2 Likes