Rounding Acrylic’s Edge after cut

Does anyone use a process or tool(s) to treat the edge of acrylic so that it is rounded and has a smooth like edge instead of the straight slightly sharp edge it normally has. Note I’m not asking about how to cut it in the GF to get a clean edge — I’ve discovered those articles already. After it cuts though, especially on thicker acrylic like 1/4, the sharper edge caused but the natural right angle of the cut is something I’d like to smooth out for certain projects, like keychains or things for kids projects. I figure I can use things like sandpaper or something, but was looking for recommendations for better solutions, possibly tools or a process that helps accomplish this.

(I tried to find it in the existing articles, but may not have used the right keywords, if you know of an existing article - sorry - but can you please just link me)

Thanks,

3 Likes

I honestly don’t remember this coming up before. Three things come to mind to experiment with.
A deburing tool, good old fashioned sanding, and a propane torch. Combining two or more of these might also be best.

2 Likes

Router, in a table, with a round-over bit.

5 Likes

Seems like I’ve heard of using a torch to flame-treat it. Or maybe I dreamed that…

8 Likes

There are polishing wheels and motors designed to take even saw marks out of Acrylic, it is a bit dirty and nasty, especially with a new wheel, but it will expand the results you can get in many areas.

You will need a shield to not have things flying everywhere,

5 Likes

That’s the simplest method. No tools required. Just a careful touch to brush the flame against the edge without applying too much heat and melting it. Easy enough if done slowly and carefully.

4 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=flame+polishing+acrylic

4 Likes

Flame polishing^^
Approached carefully you can see the effect of the heat and easily control it. Taken too far the edge will droop.

4 Likes

if you want an even round-over applied to all the edges, you’re going to need to use a router. If some variance in round-over depth is acceptable, a polishing wheel is the easiest way to accomplish this, a flame can be used but that requires some experience to get consistent results.

2 Likes