Rulers for Selling Stuff

I’m taking lots of photos right now, in the process of helping my folks dispose of their excess belongings since they’ve moved to a retirement facility. I made these because A) I’m currently out of bananas and B) people like to know how big stuff is that they’re thinking of buying.

The rulers were generated using @dan_berry’s OpenSCAD International Ruler of Mystery parametric file, but then I simplified the hash marks and turned things sideways for the vertical one.

Here’s the file: (right click and save as SVG):
sales ruler

(The triangle pieces get glued to the backs of the rulers to allow them to be free-standing.)

And some photos of them in use:

53 Likes

Smart, practical and hopefully lucrative design.

5 Likes

Great idea! Necessity is the mother of invention - and innovation.

6 Likes

Really nice pieces as well, :heart_eyes: I love cobalt glass, even if it is the plague of a glass house.

4 Likes

You’ve practiced this art, and your mention of an affinity for cobalt glass compelled me to hijack Ruth’s thread to show you a discovery I made.
This was a gift from my Daughter after I introduced her to the wonders of SCUBA.

Neat piece of glasswork wrapped around what I presumed was a rock. After owning it for months I discovered it was cobalt glass! :sunglasses:

I marvel at the artistry. (Sorry Ruth :grimacing:)

12 Likes

Very graceful looking. :grinning:

4 Likes

I could have at least printed Ruth’s scales to show its dimensions…

2 Likes

Not having a banana for scale made me laugh :rofl: Thanks for sharing this useful file!

4 Likes

So clever!

2 Likes

No apologies necessary; it’s a beautiful piece! And yeah, @rbtdanforth, Mom LOVES cobalt blue (or “bilious purple,” as Dad calls it) – the house is FULL of it.

3 Likes

Cobalt is the strongest colorant you can use as 1 part in 50,000 turns clear a detectable blue, so a single small chip can turn many gallons and unlike most colorants will not “burn out” or boil away over time at heat.

So it is not the cost of the cobalt but the reluctance of glass blowers to have it contaminate their shop.

4 Likes

Hey, thanks! These would be so much better than commercial wooden rulers for photography purposes, because they are flat and therefore photograph more clearly next to an item.

4 Likes

Great idea- and thanks for the file share!

4 Likes

Freaking awesome idea, by chance a pic of the back how you attached said triangles

Love the share and thank you VERY much

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Our power is out, so no light box for these photos. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

Perfect was just going to make a set of these. and love the blue glass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love it, thank you :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Great idea!! Thank you so much for sharing!

4 Likes

FANTASTIC!!! Thank you

4 Likes