Rummikub

I’ve found for stone that cyanoacrylate is by far the easiest and most durable… though also the most annoying to sand (resin is so much easier to sand)

10 Likes

Looks great

5 Likes

Lovely job!

We used to play this when we visited my parents. Then played with our kids at home. Ran across the game just before Christmas and stashed it close at hand.

6 Likes

That is beautiful.

4 Likes

Great job on the inlay!

5 Likes

Awesome. I did something similar for my Dad a few years ago. He and his girlfriend tell me they still play it all the time.

5 Likes

In my view the mineral inlays make it. The whole work is great though.

I did a lot of cutting Turquoise, malachite, and opal. Malachite is beautiful stuff, but you need to cut it with a wet grinder. Even so, I could taste the sulfur in it. Same taste with Lapis, like someone struck a match.
Yep, I’ve got a thing for minerals, and that’s why the use of them in inlay strikes me so. Thanks for sharing that!

7 Likes

Great game and great work! Wonderful gift!

2 Likes

Mica sounds like a great material for laser cutting. Western North Carolina used to mine it for the very large sheets when it was used heavily for electrical stuff and can still be gathered in the area. Lapis and Malachite might even kill the laser before the person, and opal (especially American and Mexican sourced) can break for little or no reason, much less loss of fire. I carved a small horse that had to live in water to keep from breaking.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I forgot, my joker/wild cards are triskeles with lapis!

I wear a mask when I work with the stones because I don’t really want stabby dust in my lungs, especially with things like malachite that has copper in it too!

2 Likes

That’s great! And I love the swap to black tiles, makes the numbers stand out better!

1 Like

Mostly for stone, unless it’s a large inlay, or a very soft stone, I use powdered stone and then use cyanoacrylate as a binder. If you do it right the CA really only binds and you can’t see it at all

And you don’t have to try to burn/vaporize malachite.

3 Likes

I found many colors of soapstone that worked great with inlays. I think pipestone is the same breed but iron red, all relatively strong and you can shape it with files.

1 Like

I’ll have to look up pipestone! Red is one I want to use more often but red jasper is a pain in the ARSE as it’s a Moh’s 7 so I have to use diamond bits to even sand the darned stuff!

1 Like
3 Likes

I have worked pipestone. I found it fragile (for a pipe).

3 Likes

But not so much for an inlay :slightly_smiling_face: I wonder if it would harden if heated carefully to 1k F

2 Likes

Great project! Saved the game for your dad and made a beautiful set in the process.

4 Likes

Astounding

3 Likes

Really lovely set, and the inlay is of course pretty amazing. I love the beautifully finished box too.

2 Likes