My own Rummikub® set

My Dad plays Rummikub with my Grandmother all the time. Apparently she’s quite good at it. He brought a set with him when we went on vacation a couple weeks ago. Well, my family became obsessed with it. So we figured we’d buy it when we got back. But then I decided it was such a simple design, why not just make our own? So that’s what I set out to do.

At first I made a sample tile out of both wood and acrylic. The family unanimously decided the acrylic was the way to go. Fine by me. Next I had to make the players’ trays. This was going to be the difficult part for me. Only because I don’t know what I’m doing… pretty much ever. :wink: I decided on a tiered design. Like a staircase. My big issue with that was, again, I don’t know what I’m doing. So I couldn’t think of a way to line up each tier perfectly. And if it wasn’t perfect, it would look like crap. And then I had an idea! LEGO®! So I did a test and it worked way better than I imagined!

The “nubbed” side:

The “dimpled” side:

Assembled tray: (I put a drop of glue in each of the dimples)

So the hundreds of hours playing with LEGO bricks as a child (and, yes, as an adult) seem to have taught me a thing or two!

And here’s the set in-play:

36 Likes

LOVE this! I laughed when you said you didn’t know what you were doing. I really do know what you meant, but as it turns out, you really DO know. Great job and very nice looking!

3 Likes

Brilliant! Who said you didn’t know what you were doing?!

4 Likes

Great job looks really good…

4 Likes

The dimple alignment trick is very clever. Nice work.

5 Likes

Yay, LEGO!

Also, people who know what they’re doing aren’t as likely to come up with cool innovations (because they’d already know how it’s “supposed” to be done). I think a little bit of imposter syndrome is maybe not a bad thing – keeps us actively learning and growing. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Excellent job Tom, it looks great!

5 Likes

Great solution!

5 Likes

Never heard of it, but it looks like you did a great job on yours!

5 Likes

Much more fun to make your own! Lovely job!

5 Likes

Great work! Looks like fun!

3 Likes