My Dad plays Rummikub with my Grandmother all the time. Apparently she’s quite good at it. He brought a set with him when we went on vacation a couple weeks ago. Well, my family became obsessed with it. So we figured we’d buy it when we got back. But then I decided it was such a simple design, why not just make our own? So that’s what I set out to do.
At first I made a sample tile out of both wood and acrylic. The family unanimously decided the acrylic was the way to go. Fine by me. Next I had to make the players’ trays. This was going to be the difficult part for me. Only because I don’t know what I’m doing… pretty much ever. I decided on a tiered design. Like a staircase. My big issue with that was, again, I don’t know what I’m doing. So I couldn’t think of a way to line up each tier perfectly. And if it wasn’t perfect, it would look like crap. And then I had an idea! LEGO®! So I did a test and it worked way better than I imagined!
The “nubbed” side:
The “dimpled” side:
Assembled tray: (I put a drop of glue in each of the dimples)
So the hundreds of hours playing with LEGO bricks as a child (and, yes, as an adult) seem to have taught me a thing or two!
And here’s the set in-play: