Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

Seems a very underhand business technique to me. Looks deliberate to steal some of the GF orders, which is a bit rich since they seem to be very late hitting their own deliveries dates.

I don’t see why GF can’t be fitted with a forward pointing head to allow a rotary attachment to be placed in front of the gantry. It should be nearly 7" deep there, plenty of room for a full sized rotary table.

17 Likes

That is s great idea @palmercr! Hope @dan is working on it or will add it to the Hopper! Maybe the magnetic head have two sets of pins so the head can be rotated 90 degrees!!! Or maybe I will get out my drill and add them once my warranty expires!!! :-)))

8 Likes

:astonished: That is an amazing idea. I hope it gets hopperized!

7 Likes

Maybe more than 7", since the box is a touch over 8". (Hmm, if you got something that hooked onto the gantry itself, you could convert Y motion into rotary motion mechanically. Or maybe not…)

1 Like

I like the idea, but in that configuration the Z axis is the functional A axis, and is limited to 1/2"
So all you would be able to engrave is a stripe 1/2" wide or less.
A better fix would be to cut a slot in the bottom of the case just big enough to accommodate a small rotary mechanism… if construction configuration allows it.

1 Like

I think it can be done with the current hardware:

6 Likes

Happens all the time in the software industry - seems pretty similar to a competitive upgrade. Phone companies, heating oil services, etc all offer discounts to new customers converting from another vendor.

3 Likes

Cable TV, banks, etc.

1 Like

In the hopper! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I figured it would be just a matter of time before they went this route. I don’t see that offer on their site (it’s far from iPhone-friendly and lots is cut off), but it doesn’t surprise me too much if that’s the case.

edit - found mention of this in a FB post. No firm numbers since it depends on what you’ve ordered here, but it says “at least hundreds”.

3 Likes

I think you miss the point of my idea. I was suggesting putting a full size rotary axis along the front of the machine at a height of say 4". The new head would fire the beam forward at a height of 4". The Y axis would move it towards the object to get it within focus range depending on its radius. The X axis would move along the length of the object.

Z would be the redundant axis that could possibly drive A.

10 Likes

On the Facebook Laser Owners group, someone has just ordered a Muse for US$6,500 + $300 delivery.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/905784596166200/permalink/1221346387943351/

Regarding Delivery, in the comments:

“All they said is there are a bunch of them in the warehouse ready to ship and that they will begin to ship this month.”

Once they receive they are planning to report back…

8 Likes

I see, thanks for the clearification.

@palmercr, now that’s an idea I hope makes it out of the hopper and into our glowforges sometimes in the not too distant future, even if it means buying a different head (swappable magnetic heads are looking real good right about now.) The lack of rotary has always bothered me a little, just 'cause, but I never thought to think along a different axis. Personally I vote this hopper idea of the year! (so far) :smile:

6 Likes

I haven’t looked inside the GF so I don’t know if this is the case - but if it’s in front of the gantry wouldn’t that make the beam point toward the front of the machine? I know it’s shielded but on the off chance something bad happened that’d be an exposure. Could it be put behind the gantry instead and then if something goes wrong it’s pointing out the back of the machine and less likely to be a problem? (Still a potential but a lower one as folks would more likely place the back against a wall or something.)

1 Like

Very true, but a shield could easily be included as part of the rotary attachment to beef up the shielding in the direction the laser is pointing. I think putting it in the back of the machine would be difficult just because you would have to get it past the head and gantry that way. Come to think of it, as a pro owner, an integrated shield would be necessary, would hate to see the laser shooting out of the passthrough slot :smile:, or would I :imp: ?

4 Likes

The pass through slot will be level with the top of the honeycomb, so it will be well below the proposed axis level.

You’re assuming that the beam comes off the head exactly horizontal. Depending on all the clearances and the Z position of the incoming beam from the tube, it might make sense for the beam from a rotary-attachment head to not be exactly horizontal (as long as things were arranged so it still hit the surface of the material perpendicularly).

But all of this is likely moot, because it would be way easy to incorporate some kind of beam stop, and to have interlocks in the software so that nothing would work if the stop wasn’t there. (So you could put the sideways head in place, but it wouldn’t fire unless the rotary gizmo was there with something in it.)

3 Likes

I think what @palmercr and @takitus were trying to illustrate are as follows. Add a new stepper/rotary attachment, park the head at the back of the unit (maximum “y”), and alter the beam path to allow for the head to perform "x "direction only movement, and the new “a” axis rotates the part. The autofocus head can still be used to focus beam onto rotary part. I threw together a sketch with garbage for dimensions to illustrate:

AS-IS:

ROTARY:

36 Likes

I think the idea would be to fix the Z axis and gantry movement, forcing manual placement of the obeject on the rotary into range.

Possibly a bypass plug could shift the position encoding from being sent to the y axis belt and redirect it to the rotary making the rotation the new y axis giving you a mapping of bed length to 360 degrees of rotation effectively unrolling your rotated surface to the bed. A few software changes to map onto the new cylindrical surface and to get the errors from no y-axis on the accelerometer and it should be very doable.

If the 7" guess is right that’s on rotation the equivalent of about a 22 inch bed so that’s more software changes. and I guess new X limitations since you need the external attachment.

4 Likes