Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

A friend recommended the Rockler/FSL laser to me when I mentioned the GF shipping delays to him, but I’m in for the long haul here.

What sort of rep does Rockler have for laser cutters?

3 Likes

I never got that far. - Rich

Rockler is a tool/hardware catalog. They pick nice stuff made by other people and sometimes have their own ideas made. I’ve bought a fair amount of stuff from them over the years, but I don’t think a laser would be among them unless I were a very late adopter.

6 Likes

Rockler is just a store/catalog that happens to sell FSL’s hobby laser.

3 Likes

Thanks - that was my guess, so it’s good to have it confirmed.

2 Likes

getting closer to the 15th - no new news that I can find… Has anyone heard any feedback on Boss lasers? I worked a gunshow last weekend with my brother ( he;s a dealer) and there was one vendor with lasered goods. Mostly Yeti mugs with various designs and logos as well as lasered jewelry for women. I stopped by at the end of the show as she was packing up - apparently she had a good weekend - said the women were really buying the laser made jewelry. I asked what laser and she said a Boss. Looking at their site, the prices are not bad for US made machine (65W around 5 K with software and *during NOV the stand is free it has, pass through air assist, etc…
While personally not really into guns, my first time at one of these shows - just to help my brothers starting business ( his first show), but it did occur to me lasered add ons and items would sell well at the shows. Then I saw at the lasertile website ( see the Laser tiles? thread ) has a special for laserable boxes of gun cleaning kits - only $170 or so for 10 on sale. So for about $17 bucks you could engrave the boxes or customize them and I bet they would pay $30 ormore for them… Maybe I should look into working a few shows with my brother some more… :thinking:

Sorry for the rant and the off topic slide a bit…

8 Likes

There are so many possible uses and ways to generate income with lasers, it’s unreal.

You can go the tougher route with architectural models or highly custom, lower volume work that sucks up a ton of design time (and charge accordingly)

Or you can go the easier route and pump out craft supply type items, stock designs, or use laserable goods found on sites like LaserBits where you just kick out some simple text then burn and churn.

I can’t wait to photo engrave the back of my iPhone… but my problem is my choice of artwork is as fleeting as my moods. LOL. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Seems like everytime I push to fill a desire, I end up with something that is just OK. It is almost inevitable that subsequent to that my eye will land on something that strikes me, and I instantly know that is what belonged where I forced some other choice.
Patience grasshopper, when you see it, you will know it!

5 Likes

You should check with Boss directly and confirm that the laser you’re interested in is US-made, and not an imported laser refitted with US optics.

6 Likes

Oh - the laser I’m interested in IS US made :slight_smile: . I was just curious as that was the first time I heard Boss lasers ( usually eplilog, trotec, full Spectrum or Universal)… The only reason I would maybe add another purchase some time in the (farther) future is z-depth w/rotary. Formy use, I enjoy sand blasting to cover that if I need glasses or vases… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ha! OK.

1 Like

Almost too bad the GF is not a UV laser otherwise you could use it to directly expose Rayzist sandblasting resist film. How cool would that be, to skip printing a film positive and having to repair any errors on the film before exposure?

3 Likes

When we’ve done sandblasting, we’ve directly laser cut a paper mask, then applied it & blasted away with good success… but I may be misunderstanding your goal.

@dan Rayzist is a UV exposed sandblasting film that will hold gradients and tiny halftone dots for doing super fine details. They also have a LazerMask but I dont know if that will hold gradients or half tones. Check it out http://rayzist.com/

5 Likes

Emailed today from Full Spectrum:

6 Likes

So happy Glowforge will not need the Jog Perimeter button. Though the Job History has some potential, if you can queue up a previously run job right from the touchscreen.

2 Likes

Interesting to see the direction they’re going. I’m curious how they will run jobs without a laptop connection. Cloud based? On board ram?

SD card? Flash? It sounds like one thing they’re trying to do is move away from plugins in dedicated design software.

So they replaced the physical buttons on a lot of lasers with a touch screen. Such innovate…

2 Likes

My silhouette cameo has a touch screen interface. I must say I’m not impressed with it. It is often delayed in response time. It would worry me a lot that the E-stop is part of the touch screen and not hardware.

Though I’m sure it will have lid safety switches too.

6 Likes