Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

I’m going to do my level best not to become obnoxious with schadenfreude when the forge arrives.

(But no promises.) :wink:

Maybe I will go hang out on other forums a bit. Show off a few things…you know. Some friendly nose-rubbing. All innocent fun. (heh, heh, heh, heh)

12 Likes

If the Muse is to deliver in November, in any numbers, it must exist. It seems mighty strange that there are no specs or descriptions being shown. Even if it is a usable device I cannot see that any user will fire it up before the GF, which, even if not perfected, is in the hands of some people. We do not even know whether it will require clunky external devices for cooling and airflow, which is the deal breaker for me.
I’m not celebrating yet. I tell my friends " Don’t buy that new suit until the Nobel prize committee has spoken"

10 Likes

Hey, essentially they asked for it!

7 Likes

Sadly yes, that tends to be the MO

6 Likes

A cool video demo of hand drawn artwork (like @maryellen’s pumpkin) scanned and executed in minutes will shut them up. :wink:

7 Likes

You overestimate that crowd.

6 Likes

Sad but true

2 Likes

The Muse site says “Inspiration arrives November”. It’s November…I bet they wait until after all the election news dies down to make their grand announcement/introduction. FS calls the Muse a hobby laser. I am interested because I am very curious about what they can possibly come up with to try to beat GF to market with an obvious look-alike hobby laser. I bet there is no info yet on their site because they are trying to get as close to the GF performance as possible without getting sued for IP infringement. - Rich

4 Likes

They were previously saying available Nov 15. But now “Inspiration arrives November” seems like a step back.

4 Likes

It has rounded corners. They clearly copied Apple.

7 Likes

Irony.

FSL has completely abandoned their own 3D printer support forums and stopped updating their RetinaCreate 3D software (last update was maybe a year ago) In fact, they don’t even have the latest version of their software available for download from their website. They also have not followed through with their plans to offer a web store of 3D models.

Their current offering/experience with laser cutters and engravers is what convinced me to go through them for a 3D printer instead of FormLabs. Yet here I am with a pre-order for an unavailable GF instead of just buying an FSL laser right off the shelf and gettin’ busy with it.

2 Likes

FSL, to me, appears to be using the Steve Ballmer approach to running a business: find someone doing something well, copy it while delsuionally pretending you are making a better product a year later, half ass it and don’t innovate at all, then pretend you never did it at all, leaving the few diehard fans who did back you, up the creek.

6 Likes

Seems that way doesn’t it? That is what I think they are doing with this Muse. I think you hit it right on the head. A friend of mine showed me a Rockler ad for a laser cutter/etcher that was for the FSL. I seriously considered buying one. When I started Googling laser machines, I saw the GF and the light went on. - Rich

3 Likes

A friend recommended the Rockler/FSL laser to me when I mentioned the GF shipping delays to him, but I’m in for the long haul here.

What sort of rep does Rockler have for laser cutters?

3 Likes

I never got that far. - Rich

Rockler is a tool/hardware catalog. They pick nice stuff made by other people and sometimes have their own ideas made. I’ve bought a fair amount of stuff from them over the years, but I don’t think a laser would be among them unless I were a very late adopter.

6 Likes

Rockler is just a store/catalog that happens to sell FSL’s hobby laser.

3 Likes

Thanks - that was my guess, so it’s good to have it confirmed.

2 Likes

getting closer to the 15th - no new news that I can find… Has anyone heard any feedback on Boss lasers? I worked a gunshow last weekend with my brother ( he;s a dealer) and there was one vendor with lasered goods. Mostly Yeti mugs with various designs and logos as well as lasered jewelry for women. I stopped by at the end of the show as she was packing up - apparently she had a good weekend - said the women were really buying the laser made jewelry. I asked what laser and she said a Boss. Looking at their site, the prices are not bad for US made machine (65W around 5 K with software and *during NOV the stand is free it has, pass through air assist, etc…
While personally not really into guns, my first time at one of these shows - just to help my brothers starting business ( his first show), but it did occur to me lasered add ons and items would sell well at the shows. Then I saw at the lasertile website ( see the Laser tiles? thread ) has a special for laserable boxes of gun cleaning kits - only $170 or so for 10 on sale. So for about $17 bucks you could engrave the boxes or customize them and I bet they would pay $30 ormore for them… Maybe I should look into working a few shows with my brother some more… :thinking:

Sorry for the rant and the off topic slide a bit…

8 Likes

There are so many possible uses and ways to generate income with lasers, it’s unreal.

You can go the tougher route with architectural models or highly custom, lower volume work that sucks up a ton of design time (and charge accordingly)

Or you can go the easier route and pump out craft supply type items, stock designs, or use laserable goods found on sites like LaserBits where you just kick out some simple text then burn and churn.

I can’t wait to photo engrave the back of my iPhone… but my problem is my choice of artwork is as fleeting as my moods. LOL. :slight_smile:

10 Likes