Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

About the Muse (this topic) and cameras - they just released a you tube video on how to use it…

(posted in the other Muse topic as well sorry)

7 Likes

They seem to have an alternative definitions of seamless!

6 Likes

as pointed out in the other thread, most of that seems to be artifacts; the edges of the laptop align quite well. hopefully they’ll be able to improve the visual uniformity through an update. computer vision is hard.

2 Likes

“Seamless” has picked up numerous meanings over time. While there are plenty of seams (visible connections between segments), there were no intervening steps. So I think that may be the definition he was using at the time. Or maybe it meant no large gaps of non-detection, even if there are areas of apparent misalignment.

Anyhow… I give them props for making sure to use an object at an angle and show rotation of the image.

6 Likes

Here’s stills for reference. He suggests the center of the bed. I know that is better on the Glowforge because of the wide angle lens. Why would you need to do that on the Muse?

4 Likes

They ask you to lower the head to the correct height before taking the photos, so that probably part of it. Either the camera lowers with the head, or the have a sensor to determine depth to allow for proper stitching. Probably the former.

3 Likes

Camera does not lower with the head. And I don’t see anything resembling a sensor on there:

I think they’re faking the perfection. If the camera doesn’t move then there’s no way they’re getting that level of perfect alignment without some sort of software height setting and having the work perfectly squared up (not to mention flat.)

3 Likes

Interesting mix of high and low quality production on this video. They take the time to coordinate the “actor” with the animated logo at the end, but don’t bother with a lav mic. Good audio is way more important than a 3d logo.:unamused:

8 Likes

There are several ways you can detect the height by moving the laser head and not “see” the sensor from that angle. The glowforge has (over/around) 50 sensors. How many do you see on a screenshot?

3 Likes

I always hate seeing a supposed “professional” video where the quality of the audio was not taken into consideration. Nothing screams amateur faster than poor audio (ok, maybe camera shake and cutting off your subjects head too, but bad audio is just as bad.) :smile:

4 Likes

At least they are showing a working demo on a production system.

I’d love to see a GF equivalent video for engraving similar items or preferably something more complex.

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the GF head camera and auto focus, so perhaps nows the time to show some working demonstrations.

4 Likes

like what? theres been a lot of videos of the gf in action

2 Likes

I can’t seem to recall seeing any videos where the focus mechanism was being used “on the fly”.

3 Likes

Heard from a user on the Glowforge facebook group that the Muse laser is delayed (they had claimed they would ship all orders starting in January.) He did not get an explanation, but others who had ordered told him that the issue had to do with the camera and that they weren’t sure if it was hardware or software.

Definitely not a good sign for them, especially as they have claimed to have hundreds of them ready to ship out. If they do indeed have or even suspect a hardware problem, that’s not good news for their test and QA processes. I still have yet to see any videos or posts from anyone who has seen one in the wild, save for the quick Tested video from CES.

I’m glad Glowforge is taking the time to do it right (even if it’s frustrating!)

2 Likes

At least GF has the courtesy to give a heads up about their delays BEFORE their anticipated ship date.

11 Likes

I think until they have 3 delays announced, they are still ahead of the curve.

Seems like being overly optimistic is contagious among laser companies when it comes to schedule of shipping product.

12 Likes

Zing :gun:… No one saw that coming :confounded:, but this is the 2nd missed on for Muse.

5 Likes

I think in this case it was a blatant attempt to steal some business from Glowforge. FSL was content to keep pushing back the Muse date up until Glowforge started getting pre-release units out to customers. Once that happened I think they figured they needed to start taking orders or miss the boat.

For all of the frustrations with Glowforge, at least we never saw tweets from @dan showing stacks of boxes and saying they have hundreds ready to ship, only to find some mysterious last-minute problem that leads to a delay of unknown length.

I feel bad for anyone who was coerced into cancelling their Glowforge and ordering a Muse at this point. It’s entirely possible Glowforge will actually start shipping first if they’re able to hit their March target.

21 Likes

Dude. Don’t jinx it. :wink:

15 Likes

I expect it’s the software. Although doing a head-mounted camera solves some problems for you compared to one on the lid, it creates others (because the stitching has to be exact and consistent under all conditions, for example). And with (IIRC from the reports) 9 images across the bed they’re maybe less wide-angle than the GF camera but still well into interesting potential-distortion territory.

Although it might also be hardware or certifications?

2 Likes