Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

FYI typing in the material height for non-Proofgrade material doesn’t affect autofocus - it’s so that the preview knows the approximate height of the material to make the layout more accurate.

16 Likes

Does it not work in the engrave/cut/score settings? That’s what I’ve been using…

And if you haven’t specified that setting specifically in each box, when you set it in the material selection modal, it changes it in those(cut/eng/score) boxes too, so I think it secondhandedly does, unless those boxes aren’t working right now and I’ve just been placebo-ing my way through! Haha I wouldn’t doubt that being the case

9 Likes

The way it works right now is not exactly intuitive, but the value you enter for height does two things:

1. It sets the default manual height
  2. It adjusts the dewarping algorithm to be more accurate
    Then, when you autofocus, it overrides the manual height - UNLESS you’ve changed it from the default, in which case it uses whatever you entered.

cc @tony to make sure I’m getting this right.

16 Likes

Ah that’s great to know, so: if the height entered in each job manually is different from the material height entered, autofocus is disabled.

I’ve also noticed that the height you guys set for engraves and cuts on proofgrade are generally set ~1/10 lower than that of the material height. Does that mean autofocus is disabled on proofgrade or can it do both?

3 Likes

I haven’t noticed but I believe it should be enabled on proofgrade - cc @tony again to make sure.

5 Likes

It would be cool to have a little icon signifying whether autofocus is on for that job, or just default the box to say auto unless you type a value in

13 Likes

Thanks for answering my question. Not having a laser before, I can only image how much more convenient the Glowforge is in this regard. Thanks for asking and @dan’s clarification on the difference between the material default entry and the operation height.

5 Likes

I would love to hear more about this (when you are given permission to share)!

4 Likes

I don’t follow…

2 Likes

The short version is that things closer to the camera (e.g. thicker material) look bigger.

The long version required two PhDs and a lot of months. :wink:

19 Likes

Then we can forget getting a good explanation.

Had a whole bunch of S/W developers, engineers and PhDs working on the same project. Communication was so bad that I had to assign someone to translate the PhD speak for the Engineers and S/W folks. It wasn’t that the concepts were difficult. It was that the PhDs kept coming up with secret words and phrases that didn’t exist in the real world. Kind of like one of us trying to read a simple Doctor’s prescription. Why don’t they just write Extra Strength Tylenol when that’s what it was for?

17 Likes

Oh, so you’re talking about camera image de-warping, not material warping correction.

3 Likes

Our PhDs are about as approachable and easygoing as you can imagine. Not a lot of putting on airs here.

Right - sorry if I was unclear.

6 Likes

I’m conversational in PhD, but sometimes I swear they are making up words on the fly. I recently learned the word squegging at work. It is a real word. :upside_down:

12 Likes

So what kind of conversations do you have with Post hole Diggers (PhD)? :grin::poop:

5 Likes

lol, I had to look it up just to find out :smile:

7 Likes

I’ve worked or played in electronics for the last 50 years and I don’t remember hearing or seeing this before! Good descriptive word, though.

4 Likes

Oh no, now I have to spend several hours researching the Barkhausen stability criterion.

5 Likes

Usually about auger selection, different types of post material, and how digging holes in New England stinks cause there are so many freakin’ rocks! There is a reason there are so many rock walls around.

5 Likes

I call them potatoes @joe . It took me 3 1/2 hours for each post hole to dig in a till field when I put a fence in last summer. Every hole had a rock or rocks like this!

I bet I have more PhD’s than anyone!!! :-))) There are a pile of broken ones in the back yard from encountering big rocks in small holes.

12 Likes