Rumors about the Full Spectrum Muse Laser

Seems like everytime I push to fill a desire, I end up with something that is just OK. It is almost inevitable that subsequent to that my eye will land on something that strikes me, and I instantly know that is what belonged where I forced some other choice.
Patience grasshopper, when you see it, you will know it!

5 Likes

You should check with Boss directly and confirm that the laser you’re interested in is US-made, and not an imported laser refitted with US optics.

6 Likes

Oh - the laser I’m interested in IS US made :slight_smile: . I was just curious as that was the first time I heard Boss lasers ( usually eplilog, trotec, full Spectrum or Universal)… The only reason I would maybe add another purchase some time in the (farther) future is z-depth w/rotary. Formy use, I enjoy sand blasting to cover that if I need glasses or vases… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ha! OK.

1 Like

Almost too bad the GF is not a UV laser otherwise you could use it to directly expose Rayzist sandblasting resist film. How cool would that be, to skip printing a film positive and having to repair any errors on the film before exposure?

3 Likes

When we’ve done sandblasting, we’ve directly laser cut a paper mask, then applied it & blasted away with good success… but I may be misunderstanding your goal.

@dan Rayzist is a UV exposed sandblasting film that will hold gradients and tiny halftone dots for doing super fine details. They also have a LazerMask but I dont know if that will hold gradients or half tones. Check it out http://rayzist.com/

5 Likes

Emailed today from Full Spectrum:

6 Likes

So happy Glowforge will not need the Jog Perimeter button. Though the Job History has some potential, if you can queue up a previously run job right from the touchscreen.

2 Likes

Interesting to see the direction they’re going. I’m curious how they will run jobs without a laptop connection. Cloud based? On board ram?

SD card? Flash? It sounds like one thing they’re trying to do is move away from plugins in dedicated design software.

So they replaced the physical buttons on a lot of lasers with a touch screen. Such innovate…

2 Likes

My silhouette cameo has a touch screen interface. I must say I’m not impressed with it. It is often delayed in response time. It would worry me a lot that the E-stop is part of the touch screen and not hardware.

Though I’m sure it will have lid safety switches too.

6 Likes

Yea, my thought is if you do an E-Stop, have it mechanical. But I’m a mechanical engineer, so that’s usually my answer to most things. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I absolutely agree with that. I’ve dealt with too many machines where the on/off switch is under software control…

2 Likes

I took the email to mean you CAN work without a laptop, not that a laptop would not be able to connect at all.

1 Like

I agree I’m just wondering how it can work without a laptop.

Pulling the power cord should act as an E-Stop if all else fails.

2 Likes

I can’t speak much to the muse, but I can say the local maker space was given a not-too-old FS laser from a department that had some extra grant money, and they got zero help getting it up and running. Honestly, the whole thing was a complete nightmare, and if you look around online, it doesn’t seem to be too unusual. If I thought all lasers were like that, I’d definitely never have considered this group.

I don’t expect a company to provide endless free support on a used laser - that’s not fair. But there’s no need to be rude, haha.

6 Likes

So why is the guy in the center running away?

5 Likes