Sad news for some international backers

I continue to be amazed by the number of people here that are better at the jobs needing to be done than GF has been able to hire. I smell a grassroots Kickstarter brewing to take over the laser world by storm. Can’t wait to see it pop up on my Kickstarter feed.

7 Likes

@dan you should hire this guy.

1 Like

at the moment there is the laser saur as a open source project but it is very well documented and I know a couple of Fab labs and spaces that have successfully build it in Berlin, Freiburg, Karlsruhe and I have a friend that just build a massive laser with his own design. One guy that started this year. He is not finished yet but I will share it here once he is ready.

2 Likes

Yeah. I looked at it before I bought into the GF. I like the large format but it was before the Laserweb guys started their project (which I’ve backed via beers for aussies :slight_smile:). It was the software side of the house that interested me most in the GF. And the one piece 'fits in the home" style of the box.

There’s another post here for a Fablab machine that looks an awful lot like a skinned lasersaur to me :slight_smile: and it’s running Laserweb so it would have given the GF a run for its money in my decision making process.

1 Like

can you point me to the link?

I saw it in a trade show here in Munich. They tried to do a campaign but failed and that is because they offer a kit. Then I would rather build a laser saur or wait for my friend to finish.

1 Like

@dan
you can pay company’s like NTS to do the testing for you (a ROI calculation)! how is that taking engineering hours? you could also hire more engineers to do just the testing (again a ROI calculation). I struggle to understand your logic when you say it is not just a ROI. Can you explain???

1 Like

@dan Is there a way to get specific information for a country in the list as to what the issue was? I was hoping to order one to be delivered to one of those countries and would like to know if I can just ship it on my own from the US.

We do. Those testing firms require time from our engineers to get up to speed. We know, because we’re spending that time with them now, and it’s a significant weight on our team.

We are hiring engineers as fast as we can; we’re limited by supply and the time we have for interviewing, not by dollars.

No; I’m afraid that’s not something we can share.

…that’s one of the reasons why we can’t; we could be liable if the information was wrong or misused.

2 Likes

Finally received the delivery email!! but it is another 5 months of waiting…:weary::weary::weary:

April notification date for a Basic to Australia, so potentially May 2018+

ie Another 9 months wait!!!

:frowning_face: :australia:

Yes, don’t forget to add 6 weeks manufacturing time and untold delivery time onto that notification and I’m pretty much up to 6 months as predicted, assuming no further delays.

2 Likes

How is April another nine months? It is less than six months away from where I am looking?

I’m going mad. :grin:

April notification for May delivery = 8 months. Editing original…

April notification, plus 6 weeks build time and however long it takes to ship to Australia.

1 Like

I think the six weeks includes shipping time.

Unfortunately only for non-overseas shipments. I think there’s a Dan response to that effect.

My guess is that they’ll dispatch after the order email in the same timeframe as the U.S. orders, but shipping will take what shipping normally takes for an 80lb. package from a small shipper in northern California.

1 Like

So, if the normal dispatch time from Milpitas to you is 1 week, the six weeks will include it. Anything beyond that (stuck in customs) would be additional.

1 Like

only you have already a couple of lasers you can play around with I really need it for the lab to do some courses. What do you recommend me to get for a lab where I have kids working with the laser.

1 Like