Saddle Stand

Well, part of this project was made on my Glowforge. I designed a saddle stand (I own a horse) that would have some ‘presence’ but was a bit complicated to get all the pieces and relationships correct.

After designing it in full scale (for 3/4" plywood), I sized it down so that I could cut it from 1/8" ply on my Glowforge. Building the smaller model first gave me the peace of mind to tackle the real thing on my CNC machine.

Still need to stain and polyurethane it, but the project came along nicely.

60 Likes

Did you make any changes based on your mini prototype?

Looks like a great project.

13 Likes

That’s amazing!

9 Likes

Yes, I did add additional cross braces at the bottom of the stand to improve the sturdiness.

11 Likes

If you’re interested, there’s a 3D model you can interact with at my website in the link below:

https://luimond.com/Models.aspx

9 Likes

Super cool. Now I want a CNC.

11 Likes

That turned out really nice!

7 Likes

Wow!that’s amazing. The full size one is so unique. I’ve used mine for template making for Adirondack chairs, but didn’t think of making a scale model. Nice.

7 Likes

What a great project!

8 Likes

Neat! I like that you did a mini version first.

7 Likes

Love this! I would hang a cowboy hat on the front hook.

2 Likes

I have a small one that I made that does some cool stuff. I am hoping to make a full sheet version because I will never be able to be the precise carpenter with the usual shop tools. Flat pack furniture it is!

4 Likes

This is way cool. Thanks sharing and sharing your process

1 Like

That’s awesome. What a great idea!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I have my first lesson back after thirty years tomorrow!

2 Likes

Good for you! Stay the course. I re-entered the horse world in 2008 (aside from some light-duty stuff in my youth) and have been ramping it up ever since. I ride an Irish Sport Horse mare in competition (jumpers) and it has been incredibly rewarding to see what she and I can do together.

2 Likes

Wow, I’ll say that has some presence!

1 Like

Love this project, and using the glowforge as a prototyping system. Great job!

1 Like

Whoa, that is amazing. Nice work! Now to get a CNC… :wink:

1 Like

Excellent idea… the smaller proto type can been done faster… to get the kinks out… I should heed this advice…

2 Likes