Safety Revisited

Continuing the discussion from Fire is Bad:

@mmbarnes9 OK. First, there’s this thread:

…and then…

Everyone should be reading about safety with a machine like this.

Second, @rbtdanforth, good example of a lost machine. I’m guessing that you agree with me that I don’t buy it that FLeuhusen’s machine just blew up. Sounds fishy, but clearly the machine suffered for whatever was allowed to happen. That much melt didn’t likely happen to a watched machine, with a fire extinguisher handy.

I keep a halon fire extinguisher next to the machine along with a water spray bottle. I haven’t used either because I watch the machine in use most of the time and use cardboard cautiously. No guarantee there, but lowering the odds of losing my investment.

5 Likes

I was not so much talking about the safety, but only pointing out that after his fire there was still recoverable value in his machine. Something not true of FLeuhusen’s machine. Good safety comes from good judgment but there is nothing like bad judgment to sear home what good judgment is.

After the results of bad judgment, one still has to proceed from there and it was the possibilities of that which I was addressing.

2 Likes

Experience is the best teacher. Unfortunately her lessons are very expensive.

7 Likes

I usually refer to experience as the Insane Professor. You learn what you need to know only after the test and when the student finally reaches as far as they can go the Professor kills the student.

5 Likes

You’re confusing two different teachers.

Time is also the best teacher. Unfortunately she kills all of her students.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.