Salad Spoons!

Winterfall branch from the maple in our back yard, cut into planks with a hatchet, shaped with the knife set my son got me for Christmas, engraved on my trusty GF!

I’ve really gotten to like the “paper scoring” method for positioning engravings on weird pieces. Not my invention but worth reiterating in case somebody else can use it:

1. Trace the items onto a piece of paper and scan it.
  2. Make a single SVG with the tracing and engravings.
  3. Tape down a piece of copy paper on the bed. Use 20lb paper setting on the GF, set the tracing to score, ignore all the other elements, and print.
  4. Position the items to be engraved on the bed, lined up with the scoring marks.
  5. Change the setting to Maple Hardwood (or whatever) and Set Focus.
  6. Ignore the tracing, set the rest to engrave, and print.

The only tricky part is getting the scan to be (a) actual size and (b) traced into line art that can be scored by the GF. Neither that difficult but once you have a process you like, write it down! :smiley:

Video showing engraving with score lines on paper

—S

34 Likes

Very cool that you made these from your backyard, and extra cherry on the top to 'forge some decoration on them!

7 Likes

What a great project! Beautiful wood and nice engraving.

6 Likes

Love that it came from your own yard!

5 Likes

Whoa! That is amazing that you made them from a branch from the yard!!

6 Likes

Wonderful!

5 Likes

Love that you made those from your tree. With all the cedar and maple trees we’ve cut down, I keep looking at the wood wishing I could do something with it besides firewood. But I’m definitely not a carver, so firewood it is! Great job on those!

6 Likes

Cool project! We have an enormous black walnut in our backyard, and you’d think I would have made something from the fallen branches by now. But, not.

4 Likes

oh can you imagine how pretty that would be? :heart_eyes:

6 Likes