Salt & Pepper Cellar Lids (Magnolia)

I love when I can make “functional” stuff.

As you can see I’m a little clumsy and dropped both Lids but glued them back together. I was cooking breakfast this morning and it hit me… I CAN MAKE NEW LIDS!!! :slight_smile:

Edit: I engraved one with Cherry Hardware as suggested. Looks great.

SPLid.zip (107.3 KB)
SaltPepperCellarLid

74 Likes

Nicely done!

3 Likes

Looks meant to be.

3 Likes

Did you seal them to make the lids more foodsafe?

2 Likes

it looks way better with the wood lids anyway.

6 Likes

No, It’s not really coming in direct contact with the Salt or Pepper, but I guess I could throw some Butcher Block Oil on them. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

If you’re concerned, you could use hardwoods instead of ply, sand all the edges clean, glue it with foodsafe glue, use butcher block oil and you’re probably pretty well covered.

You’re probably right about the risk level being low since it’s not in contact with the food.

3 Likes

Agreed! The lids look great! At first glance, I thought they came with the containers. :slight_smile: Great replacement!

2 Likes

My sister has some old wood containers that our Great Grandfather made from an tree in the woods to hold dry food back in the day and they are definitely not sealed. Back then no one worried as much as they do now days and they survived just fine. Then you have think what the pioneers stored their food in, big wood barrels…

6 Likes

I like your design/method of getting the pieces aligned by gluing in two steps!

2 Likes

Next step: engrave the tops! Although they look great as is of course.

4 Likes

Nice job, and as @cynd11 says it is time to engrave them. Also, look in the pantry for more things that need improving via your Glowforge.

4 Likes

That’s a great Idea!!

It really does look like they came that way. Good Job!

2 Likes

That Bounce When Dropped…

Good job.

4 Likes

I also think the new lids look even nicer.

FWIW, I wouldn’t be concerned whatsoever with actual wood, but MDF isn’t something you want ending up in your food. I doubt it’s an issue in something like this, though.

6 Likes

Those are great! I agree, the lids could be engraved next…

2 Likes

Nice work! You might also be able to seal it with a little bees wax.

2 Likes

I am all for the new wood look, nicely done.

1 Like

Looks great! I wish I’d thought of this before I threw mine away!

1 Like