Sapele Mahogany and acrylic plaques

For the past few years, I have made these plaques for one of my clients. I really like the mix of the dark engraved wood and the bright acrylic engrave.

In the past, I have had to score an outline of the final plaque size on the board and then cut to that score mark on the table saw. Which just added potential to ruin a piece after engraving it.

But now with snapmarks it is a whole lot easier and less stressful.

Here is a look at the file I used to engrave the wood and acrylic. As you can see the acrylic was engraved from the back. There is also a layer with my logo and an alignment mark for where to cut the keyhole slot for hanging.

One of the things I love most about having a laser at home is being able to make quick jigs. Here is the one I made for cutting the keyholes on the back. It was made for some scraps I had but it looks amazing. Plus labeling my jigs has never been so easy or looked so neat. Too bad my shop is nowhere as neat.

Too bad I totally missed my alignment mark when cutting the first one. :frowning: Good thing I always order extra material.

41 Likes

Keyhole jig is a great idea. The plaque technique is a great snapmarks use case. Nicely done.

4 Likes

Very nice plaques. I can see why they are repeat customers.

3 Likes

Very professional plaques!

2 Likes

Great use case for the Snapmarks. :grinning:

2 Likes

Oh man, I’m a trophy geek and these are awesome! I couldn’t figure out how you did it until I was the engraved walnut piece. It looks so clean form the front. Is the acrylic just engraved or is there any paint?

1 Like

The acrylic was just engraved, no paint fill. I think it helps that it was engraved on the backside.

1 Like

Looks so even and smooth! Just curious, did you defocus at all?

1 Like

Did you get those aluminum (or some other metal) corner pegs from McMaster-Carr?

Nope, it was just a straight up engrave and the acrylic was just an ordinary a cast acrylic from a local supply company.

1 Like

I believe i got them on amazon a few years ago. They were just the top part of some acrylic stand-offs i had already. Then I just drilled a hole in the front of the plaque and dropped in some epoxy before putting in the pegs.

Nice work. This is why I adore acrylic.

1 Like

Very nice looking. Sharp and clean!

1 Like