Saturn

I made this on Proofgrade because I thought it might be a catalog possibility. However, it takes hours to engrave. Could I get some feedback on whether anyone would be willing to spend that much time on it? About 4:10!

41 Likes

Wow it is gorgeous!!! I have a nuclear meltdown if an engrave is over 5 minutes.

There are thousands of GF owners — there will be owners who will love to make this project.

8 Likes

It is beautiful. The engraved areas could be inlays or layered for a different look.

10 Likes

That is awesome! (But I would not engrave for 4 hours. Make it layered with PG and cardstock and I’ll reconsider–although I recognize the catalog restrictions on materials.)

9 Likes

Pretty! For me layers yes, engrave no. But I avoid engraving as much as possible for lack of time.

There’s a couple cards on copy paper in the catalog, veneer could also be nice if one sticks with PG.

10 Likes

Hmm I guess you won’t be making the FENCING sign I’m doing either. It was a more than 2 hour engrave.

6 Likes

ROTFLMAO!!!

When I have an engraving project— I change the settings to shorten the time. I have had great success lowering the LPI to 125.

There are many GF expert engravers, but I am not one of them.

4 Likes

Looks great, but as others have said, I’d seriously consider layers of light PG in multiple species. My experience is that GF likes to see submissions that use multiple materials.

Light PG ply cuts significantly faster than Medium, let alone Thick…

10 Likes

It looks cool but would only do a 4 hour engrave if it was my absolute favorite thing, or knew it was for someone else.

7 Likes

This turned out beautiful, but like others, would only do it i really needed it!

3 Likes

Love it!

3 Likes

Veneer is a great suggestion. Thanks!

4 Likes

Even on draft engraving settings it takes that long? I think it is beautiful! Submit!!!

3 Likes

nice. more photos please.

3 Likes

No to a 4 hour engrave, but yes to several cut and layered pieces. I cringe when anything I design takes more than 5 minutes to engrave. I wish I could make the catalog default to draft engrave for my own files-but whenever I open them they are set to standard and are like twice the engrave time as when I tested it.

5 Likes

Well, I’m not an expert in anything but mistakes on the GF. I did use the SD graphic engraving but turned the LPI down to 225. I’ve had trouble with the draft setting burning because usually my engraving is small and intricate. I guess I could set it on draft and low LPI and see how long that would take.

4 Likes

I don’t really have more but this is a slightly different one and one of my failed acrylic attempt due to my own stupidity.

11 Likes

Thanks for all the great replies! Considering several options.

2 Likes

After 3 1/2 years—- I still make mistakes with settings.

1 Like

Hi May not be around for awhile. Had seizure yesterday woke up on floor Maybe broke toes hurt ribs hit head. May have DVT too

4 Likes