Scaling purchased design to fit laser bed

I recently bought a dollhouse design cut file from makecnc.com. Unfortunately it did not have the size listed and I didn’t think about how hard it would be to scale. The largest of the pieces are too big for the laser to cut. Is there a way to scale designs while keeping the attachment points unscaled? All of the tabs and slots are designed with a specific material thickness in mind. I’m guessing there is no easy way to do this and I’ll have to do it all by hand, I’d love to know if anyone has any ideas about the best way to proceed.

You can scale first and then go back and increase the size of the holes etc, Alternatively Figure out how to break the large pieces up like under a wall etc.

What software are you using?

I use Illustrator for all of my designing. The file is a DFX however, not sure if there is another program which would make this easier.

Thank you, I hadn’t thought of dividing the pieces, that way I don’t have to scale at all!

1 Like

Do you mean DXF? You may benefit from bringing it into a CAD application that would be easier (IMO) to deal with scale issues. If I were to be doing this (I’m a 27 year AutoCAD User), I’d think it wouldn’t be “easy” but totally doable. The attachment points could be left alone for size, but they might need to be moved.

Hard to say without seeing the file, but it is doable.

It’s a pretty complex design. I think breaking up the larger pieces is the best route for me. Luckily the pieces which are too large seem to be the base pieces, which I don’t think will be that visible. I’ve never used CAD, I’m not sure this would be the best project to learn on, lol.

Thanks for your response though.

1 Like

Well true - CAD it pretty complex along with the design.

What’s the largest piece dimensions? Is it wider than 20"? If you don’t have a Pro unit and the piece at it’s smallest width is less than 20", I’d be happy to cut it on my Pro with the pass through slot. PM me if you’re interested.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.