School Bus Box - Bus Driver Gift

The night before the last day of school, my wife tells me she wants me to create a box that looks like a bus, so she can give it as a gift to our kids bus drivers. THE NIGHT BEFORE!

“If you can’t do it, that is alright. I will just find something else to give them,” she said.

Challenge accepted!

I spent about an hour looking at bus images on Google. Then it was off to the races!

My first design was “too small” according the wife. She wanted it three inches tall. That made it about seven and half inches long. But I could still fit two of them on one sheet of ply.

In the end I was very happy with the result (but now I am very tired, that is a lot of scrabbling and crafting in 24 hours.)

The would probably look even better if I had time to paint them, but I was still proud of the result given the time to work on them.

The top just lifts off.

Filled the boxes with Hersey’s kisses and hugs.

Not sure what the stuffed cows were about; apparently that was an inside joke.

44 Likes

You totally nailed it! This is something I could definitely imagine seeing in the Glowforge catalog.

10 Likes

Great use of a glow forge owner’s super power, making quick custom made gifts on demand. Awesome!

9 Likes

Fantastic!!

7 Likes

You’re cool under fire huh Bill? Great job on such short notice. What a thoughtful gift!
I agree with @rappee25407, and nice design on the joints that don’t detract from the lines. :sunglasses:

8 Likes

That turned out so cute! What a great idea!

6 Likes

That was one of my biggest concerns. I hate it when the edge-joins interrupt or take attention away from the design. I thought I had done pretty well except for the lid. I didn’t necessarily like how it integrated with the top of the bus, but it all worked.

6 Likes

Exactly. I think it’s perfect.

4 Likes

Really great! Especially with the time restraints.

4 Likes

They look magical :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

I posted this original design in the “Free Laser Designs” section.

If I do submit it to the catalog, it will be a more refined version that I have spent more than 24 hours on.

3 Likes

How do you save design?

The link is in the comment right above yours.

Right-click on the line image and select “Save image as…”

2 Likes