Schwibbogen

I lived in Germany for 3 years, and every time Christmas Market Season was upon us, I was in awe of the lighted Christmas arches - Schwibbogen. They were way out of my price range, and when the library got a Glowforge, this project became my labor of love! I made 2 different designs (same base for both) and used Thick Maple Plywood, Walnut Veneer, and cut Vellum backing using a Cricut Machine. There are holes/slots in the base where battery powered fairy lights live. I made a total of 4 and gave them as presents. The one with the very tall church was modeled after the Market Church of the town I lived in - Wiesbaden. If you look at the last picture, you can see the Marktkirche from whence I took my inspiration.
I designed it with Adobe Illustrator and it took me months to get everything how I wanted it!

55 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
That is a Fantastic schwibbogen! I lived in Wiesbaden for years (Our son was born there) and that picture is a nice reminder of such a wonderful town and the super Christmas Markets that I loved and kind of miss.

9 Likes

That is fantastic. You can tell it was a labor of love.

7 Likes

Welcome. Thanks for sharing this project. It is great that your library made it possible for you to bring your vision to life.

8 Likes

Welcome! Those turned out fantastic. Thank you for showing us. I am sure the recipients loved them!

6 Likes

Inspiring work! Beautiful!

6 Likes

Welcome, that turned out beautiful!

4 Likes

I’m so glad you took the time to learn and figure it all out. Certainly worth it. This does so evoke the Christmas markets. Well done!

4 Likes

Those are beautiful Lichterbogen, especially your rendering of the Marktkirche. Schön gemacht!

5 Likes

Absolutely beautiful, thank you for showing us!

2 Likes

Wow! Wonderful work!

2 Likes