Scored M&M's

I was challenged by a friend to see if I could make custom M&M’s. Attached are the gauges that I printed. Things to note:

1. M&M’s were frozen. I learned from my years at Michigan Tech that if you want to apply high heat to something and have it come out on the other end (deep fried Twinkies) you need to freeze it first.
  2. Scored at fastest speed (500 I believe) and varied the power.
    3)The thickness of my M&M’s were ~1/4 inch.
    IMG_0354
26 Likes

Nice, but I guess you missed that thread where things came unhinged and culminated with @Jules putting the declaration of independence on a grain of rice…

17 Likes

He’s teasing! (It was only the Glowforge logo.) :smile:
Cool job on the candy!

13 Likes

I have to know if you tasted these, and what they tasted like.

4 Likes

Cool

2 Likes

Honestly, nothing different as far as taste or texture goes.

But I also love pickled eggs, so…

6 Likes

I should also note that I did not use any masking. I have another bag in the freezer that I will try that with.

On a side note, this was not very definitive, as the candy coating was not uniform from M&M to M&M.

1 Like

Cool. I think I posted my version of an M&M jig. It’s acrylic with holes for 2 dozen M&Ms. I use the engrave operation & don’t bother freezing them.

If you can’t find the jig, let me know & I’ll send it to you.

4 Likes

I thought it was Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address…:joy:

4 Likes

Perhaps the Rice University Logo?
P.S. I hope you are high and dry in the new flooding.

4 Likes

And “Drop the mic”

2 Likes

I’ve never even owned m&m’s long enough to put into a freezer or a laser… :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Yep, it wasn’t too bad this time. Thanks for asking. :grinning:

1 Like

Try engraving, you won’t get the start/stop burn-throgh. Fun idea!

2 Likes

In the interest of science I think it’s of utmost importance to try masking. In fact, if you are really wanting to achieve GF stardom, it’s almost necessary to compare masked M&Ms to unmasked M&M I think. (Actually I’m just laughing a bit inside imagining you applying itty-bitty round masks to each individual M&M and I’m trying to goad you into trying it lol. :rofl:)

4 Likes

Whenever I score M&Ms they vanish immediately.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Hahahaha! Touche

1 Like

6 Likes