Scoring paper?

I was reading this and wondered if anyone had tried and had recommendations on the dashed line concept? I’m making an advent calendar and want to cut a tiny half moon for a pull spot and continue it around 3 sides of the ‘door’ so you can pull the door open and not tear up the rest of the page. Its a secret squirrel project so I don’t actually want to ask hubby who’s the guy who’s been doing all the work on it. I was thinking of printing a nice colour pic on some heavier grade paper and rubber cementing it to the front edge of the mdf box I made but have the little doors in the paper that can be torn open. Then after Xmas he’ll still have the divided box for storing all his tiny warhammer bits as the rubber cement would come off the edges with a bit of rubbing. Does it sound like a concept that might work?

1 Like

Yes, there are tutorials for it now…which program are you using? We might have one for it.

I’m using adobe illustrator. Well - learning adobe illustrator.

Ah! My fav…Quickest method with AI is creating a brush for it… @likeablejerk did a writeup on how:

4 Likes

Hey, that’s me! I helped!

9 Likes

And I like that method too! (Used it for half a dozen repetitive tasks lately!) :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

i missed this thread before, but for those looking to find out which way the grain goes on a sheet of paper, if you can find the manufacturer specs, paper is listed as “long grain” or “short grain.” “long” grain means the grain goes along the long side of the paper. short grain means it goes along the short side.

in particular, with digitally printed sheets, if you fold against the grain, you will sometimes see the toner “break” across the fold. this is especially true if you don’t have a good score. in my office, we actually use a large manual paper scoring machine before we fold sheets. a morgana docucrease 52. it will crease up to a 20" (shortest side) sheet of paper. we use folded covers (as opposed to laminating) and do a lot of short-run saddle stitch using this machine.

here’s a good article about what paper grain means.

7 Likes