Scrabble for Charity

What a crisp and beautiful job on the board. Love it!

2 Likes

Owyn’s must think that it’s effective, but I find it quite annoying and distracting the pop-ups regarding what the latest person bought. As an eCommerce professional, I would test it, but watch the data carefully. Sometimes annoying things are effective.

2 Likes

I’m sure that’s an option for whatever e-commerce cms they are using, and could probably turn that off. I find it annoying, but chalk it up to them being g a small company that doesn’t understand good ui design. It definitely doesn’t get me to buy more wood.

2 Likes

Wow–that’s gorgeous! What a fantastically executed project.

2 Likes

So did you color with the sharpie then burn the words on the board? If so how did you avoid scorch marks from the burn?

3 Likes

Scored the squares that I need to add color. Removed the board, but leaving the rest in place as a jig. Removed masking and “painted” squares. Let dry, remask, and then place back in :glowforge: for the engraving of the words. Multistep process, but the lines and words came out clean.

Mike

6 Likes

The accent colors are a nifty touch, and the photography is stunning!

2 Likes

Nice touch with the placement grid. That—and being a turntable—is what makes my Deluxe Edition my favorite board on which to play. But I’d enjoy making a Super Scrabble sized edition with similar features.

Also, love the touch for the Glowforge bonus tile.

4 Likes

BTW, did you do your tile set as an inlay or an in-filled engrave?

The tiles are engraved.

1 Like

What material do you choose for filling in engraves?

Nothing. There is nothing filling in the engraved areas.

Ooops sorry, for getting the posts confused. I meant my in-fill question for @marmak3261:
Is it a layered ply that gives you light colored letters on a dark (walnut?) wood? Or did you stain after the fact?

The tiles are made from Hickory plywood. Engraving any plywood in my experience is going to give you a dark burned look. I may put poly on the tiles to seal them, but the pictures were taken with no stain or anything on the tiles. The board is cherry ply, and has a bit of mineral oil on it.

I inlayed each of these tiles with maple veneer. The score numbers were brutal. But it came out great. Here’s how I did it.

2 Likes

Wow! That does sound brutal on the score numbers—not just applying them but how to cut without losing them to the crumb tray. Thanks for sharing a link to your experience. They look great in the photo.

1 Like