Scraps to art

The perennial issue of scrap is always fair game for fresh ideas. I’ve been making “barn quilt” art out of old art from a museum installation I did in 2017. Initially I bought a very cool pattern from an etsy vendor I favor, but for smaller scraps (5cm squares) I designed a bunch of my own mosaic tiles. I color sort them and when I have piles I crate an art. I’m also using wood panel bits in some of the artwork but don’t have photos of it. I hope this inspires you to crate something gorgeous with your own scraps. -Mrs. S., internet paranoid.

41 Likes

This is beautiful! Thank you for sharing this.

2 Likes

These are stunning!

2 Likes

Huh, yeah I like those tiles. Care to go into your coloring techniques?

3 Likes

In 2017 I did this show: https://homoidentus.com. It’s mostly acrylic on HDF (high density fiberboard, or “masonite” and I’m putting the pieces face down on the crumb tray with a baking parchment layer between art and bed to reduce flashback (so tired of masking & peeling). I hope you are inspired to splash paint onto your scraps, cut them and see what cool stuff you can make, too. Just a safety reminder, some paint colors (higher quality ones) may contain cadmium or chromium or other things you shouldn’t breathe, let alone laser. Use cheap paint!

5 Likes

Did she cut her mask out with her glowforge as well? It is a perfect oval.
Just kidding…
I may just have to TRY to make something like this with all my scraps. I love the idea!

4 Likes

This is a really cool idea! I love the coloring and the idea of having little pieces around that create something bigger over time.

1 Like

An emergent work. :sunglasses: I knew I was saving those scraps for something.

2 Likes

Yay! Like this idea a lot.

1 Like

Great use of scraps

1 Like

I love your composition with this piece, the repetition of shapes and colour gradation is very pleasing to the eye!

1 Like

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing!

The colors and shapes are so bright and beautiful.
I fear I would never be able to make something this great, but of course that doesn’t mean it won’t be fun and look nice. lol We’ll see.

I’ve been planning to make some kind of mosaic and this makes me excited that plan. :smiley:

3 Likes

That is wonderful, what an excellent way to use scrap.

2 Likes

Great work! I have a pile of scraps building up, too! Great inspiration here. Baking paper? Hmmm…might have to try that.

2 Likes

It’s so striking! Love it!

Inspired by use of parchment paper, for sure!

1 Like

Beautiful!! That is so well done! :heart:

And some home décor for the holidays. A selection of these will backdrop the mantel. So. Much. Scrap.

1 Like