Second passover option

More design time but you could make the center piece unique for each one and give your guests just the center piece with their name engraved and they figure out which puzzle it fits in.

Or, do something where in the end, all of the named pieces fit together - and you can assemble a puzzle with all of those name pieces and have a record of attendees you can put in a little frame.

2 Likes

OMG, you are totally feeding this addiction…

6 Likes

I’m curious as to the settings. I assume this is Proofgrade maple and that you used the default cut settings?

The kerf seems wide to me and I rarely get any blowthrough and flashback on the back side of the material when I use Proofgrade and default cut settings (for me maple is 80/15). In fact, some times it barely even makes it through the masking on the other side, which makes for a pretty small kerf and a tight fit in the puzzle.

1 Like

Or cut out 30 puzzles that are all the same. Assemble them with a missing center piece, and then cut out 30 name tag puzzle pieces, none of which fit!

3 Likes

proofgrade maple plywood. 100/27

Hate to link to myself but:

You won’t be able to integrate into table, but I think a GF and a few cups of coffee you can get this by Monday.

And as I finish typing the above, new idea. The safe is under the Seder plate, and you have to push the “sections” in a certain order/combo to unlock…

2 Likes

A ton of blowback for me with those settings. Enough to melt the paper on the back. They’re recommending 100/35 for mine until they get it dialed in (perhaps a boosted tube in my machine?). Even that leaves some scorching but it doesn’t penetrate the paper. I can push it to 100/38 without a problem and it cleans up the blowback altogether.

1 Like

That’s fascinating I had issues early on with not making it through some cuts at default settings. I was actually cautious about going full power though, for no reason other than Geordi and Scotty. Wow. that is a big difference.

2 Likes

Done.

Usually I fun my cuts on full and use the speed to adjust for material thickness or density. But I have them throttled so the machine won’t go more than 95%. So a “100” is really only 95. I set them that way so I don’t have some yahoo overclocking the tube and prematurely wearing it out. I would do the same for the Glowforge (or keep the max I set to 95) except that was what was recommended. I don’t know if the app is actually adjusting to keep us from running them at their real 100% level - protecting us from ourselves (it would be the smart thing to do with the types of users that these machines are destined for).

Integrated seder plate + afikomen hiding spot is amazing.

5 Likes

Looks a little like it reads “Herary” :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m revising before mass production of moving all the letters onto tiles, so depending on the length of your name it may be one or more letters/tile. This also helps with the “what is the front” aspect (my son watched me struggle to put this one together, since several were upside down)

Aaahh, you can underline the letters that could be reversed. Kind of like how the 6 and 9 in BINGO are both underlined…

Maybe make a cool designed line instead of a plain underline…

Just out of curiosity, @henryhbk, is this designed so that your cut lines are only getting cut once, or are the cuts getting duplicated on the shared faces of the pieces?

i.e. that your paths are set up like this example, rather than example 2:

1 Like

Single line. That’s the kerf

10-4. Edited to clarify my message; I was struggling with the right way to word the question. Basically, that you don’t have any common cut lines in the file. Was thinking that might result in the increased blowback you didn’t expect to see on the backside.

I looked at the file.

(Option 1 in your examples above.)

(edit: Whoops! Hidden paths - there were duplicates in there. That should solve a lot of issues.)

3 Likes

When I watch it cut, it cuts every shared line twice.

1 Like

Ok, that explains the kerf. This is your own file and it goes over twice.

1 Like

Um not to me, I guess. There is one line. Why does the motion planner see that as a line that needs cutting twice? If I just draw a line it doesn’t do that… So do I have to make the line a contiguous line with no joins? How does their’s do it (the one in the built in set)?