Second project of the day

So we’re you using that to feed back to a simulated scale to create hand feel to the user? Or merely so as they “cut” in the simulation it resisted the appropriate amount?

By simulated, did you mean like on your dmy model, or a VR or computer simulation?

I just think it’s all cool , sorry for the barrage of questions in the middle of your forging!

Actually it is an ongoing project, and what I am doing is using machine vision to recognize tissue type that is being cut by a laser scalpel ("Do you have a proofgrade liver sir?"), and provide haptic feel to the operator of the appropriate instrument. The easiest version, imagine you are a dentist using a dental laser, if the laser is cutting teeth you feel a drill under your fingers and when cutting gum you feel either a scalpel or bovie (electrocautery). It also has sort of geofencing, where if it figures out that based on your vector of motion that you are leaving a desired area, you feel like you are hitting a wall on that side of your index finger.

5 Likes

If Im doing a raster image, I generally tend to shoot for 270 or above. I default to 340, as this is what the gf defaults to as well. This is pretty close to all the print and display standards of 300dpi these days, which is enough to look smooth to the human eye from a standard distance. The only time ive found myself using lower than those is either on really sensitive materials (thin EVA), or leather, which has a pretty wide kerf when engraving.

3 Likes

You also feel the patient’s teeth in your fingers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

this is awesome to hear, the promise of engraving quality was what sold me in the first place.

2 Likes

clicks furiously

8 Likes