Security Police Badge

The address for my house has changed (twice). One Post Office closed in the early 70s and another in the early 90s. Population of both those unincorporated towns is now close to zero. Guessing my current “postal” town has a population of about 25 people though the post office serves hundreds.

1 Like

When I was a teenager the post office renumbered our street. Went from 509 to 523. There were no empty lots on the street and the block before was still 400 and the block after 600. Not sure what the point of that exercise was.

2 Likes

Extra budget :slight_smile: use it or lose it.

2 Likes

He will love it. Amazing job

1 Like

My parents’ address has changed every decade or so, too. The town / zip haven’t, so far, but they keep renumbering the RR and changing box numbers. In the latest iteration they gave it a name (named it for my parents’ place).

The county finally paved it a few years ago, and I noticed yesterday there’s an actual speed limit posted now (did you notice that, @timjedwards?). I remember coming to see my grandparents out here when it was still two ruts with grass growing in between…civilization is creeping in!

Also the posted speed limit is about half the speed my brothers and I routinely traveled it, back in its unpaved days. (The trick was to go fast enough so your wheels only skim the tops of the potholes!j

2 Likes

In the NM desert between Alamogordo and El Paso, TX 30-odd years ago there was a tiny town named somethingorother Del Oro. Just south of the garage and 3 houses it contained stood a single oak tree. In front to the tree was a sign that said “___ Del Oro National Forest.”

It made me smile every single time I drove past. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Ha it’s still there. And they have two trees now, I believe. Oro Grande “National Forest” (Big Gold).

1 Like

Oro Grande! That’s right!

1 Like

I would say of the one-tree-park, purpose served if it made people smile. There is something similar in the city I grew up in…at least there was…a square, mere feet in size, with one tree in it, marked as an actual park.

1 Like

Update: Dad said he wished he’d had this badge to display on his desk 40 years ago. For him, that’s downright effusive, so I’m counting it a success. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

The top piece with the lightning bolts…is that a gold mylar or you cut wood for that piece? That’s very nicely done.

It’s wood! I initially engraved it, but it just didn’t make me happy, so I cut it out and put it on top of the engraving, and BAM, the whole thing just came together. :slight_smile:

@dklgood sent me some laser foil a while back, but I’m still working up to trying it out. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I suspect once I finally get up the nerve to get past the first time, I’ll start putting it on everything.

2 Likes

My wife is pushing for the foil on everything. That’s why I asked. :wink:
A spot of sparkly for that piece might have been really a neat touch on an already awesome piece.

1 Like

Agreed!