Seinfeld Subtitles

I’ve long been a fan of automata and mechanical movements. I designed my own original automata 6 or 7 years ago that uses a Whitworth quick return mechanism and spend a lot of time dabbling in that space.

Given the duty cycle here, I’m highly confident that there’s no need for lubrication and that it’s probably more durable than I am. It only runs when it “sees” someone standing within 3 feet of it and my water heater just doesn’t get that much traffic. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s fairly quiet when it runs. There is sound in the video, but you’d probably have to turn your speakers all the way up to hear it. The motor only runs for 5.65 seconds to rotate the next panel into view.

Power is supplied by a 12 volt adapter plugged into an outlet, so there’s no concern about batteries and such. The PIR sensor polls continuously except when it’s running the motor.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

7 Likes

Ah, I know this book! I share your passion for the subject and I’ve only explored two so far: the Whitworth quick return mechanism and the Geneva wheel.

505 to go! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I think I need to get this book!

[Edit] Purchased; it should be here tomorrow!

5 Likes

I just put a hold on it at my library, it should be transferred to the branch in two days. Cool.

6 Likes

This is such an epic and hilarious build. :rofl:
It reminds me of the famous Banksy self-destructing $1.4 mill “Girl with Balloon” painting.

6 Likes

It’s a fun book to peruse.

1 Like

I bought the Kindle version. It cost me $2.51 in 2016. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Funny you should mention that. I did one of those on my Glowforge in December 2018:

Banksy Frame (Glowforge version) - Made on a Glowforge - Glowforge Owners Forum

9037d0e2f8394568c0c2d7316e40d8bd80a9dad5_2_666x500

8 Likes

That’s so awesome! Now you need to combine the idea and make a mini Banksy. :laughing:

4 Likes

Love this project! Who knew that hot water heaters made great gallery spaces? Ours is covered with coupons and warranties from our maintenance provider.

4 Likes

yo people be getting real crafty with this GF, love it!

2 Likes

My son would love this!!! As always, when I peruse the posts on the GF app… :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: LOVE all of the creativity!!! :heart:

2 Likes

Of interest if you like linkages and mechanisms… Nguyen Duc Thang has been animating literally thousands of them and makes index files to help you find what you’re interested in.

7 Likes

Thanks for the links! I’ll check it out.

Your crafty subtitle mechanism inspired me in a related tangent. My first thought was that a stepper motor could be used in place of the Geneva gear. That led to the idea of using a pair of such a steppers on 12 element subtitle boards to to make a word clock.

A day later and I have a first draft ready for printing. One 12 sided element covers the minutes (in 5 minute increments) and the other the hours. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

Wow, those will take a while to review. That is a lot of information from Dr. Thang. I will have to check that out when I have more time.

2 Likes

This is awesome! Certainly a fun way to look at a water heater!

2 Likes

Pretty cool. Ever consider an LED light system that can do messages? So many more worthy Cramer messages that way.

Never mind. I see someone beat me to it

3 Likes

Not so much with LED, but I did consider triggering sound bites from the actual episode. I like the visual approach better though.

1 Like

That would be great too!

1 Like