Banksy Frame (Glowforge version)

A couple months ago, I found a Banksy Frame on Thingiverse (Banksy Frame) that intrigued me. I tried 3D printing it and getting it to work, but for me it was a total failure.

So, I decided to re-engineer the concept so that it was entirely Baltic Birch and cut on my Glowforge. I finally arrived at a version that works well, but does not use the same mechanism as the project on Thingiverse.

I didn’t really want the finger joint look and was afraid that using any stain/paint would corrupt the internal mechanism, so I created a card stock cladding that gets glued to the outer surfaces and results in a nice finish.

I tweaked it by creating an art gallery diorama setting and even added magnets to the back of the frame (I just love magnets) so that I can swap in different subjects if I like.

Attached are some pictures. The green logo version is that of the advertising agency that I work for (Cramer-Krasselt) just to test out an alternative to Banksy’s “Girl with a Balloon” (aka “Love is in the bin”).

Now I need to find some more subjects that look good when shredded.

53 Likes

That is awesome!

4 Likes

Your cleverness has exploded my brain.

6 Likes

My granddaughter definitely needs one of these!

4 Likes

Brilliant. Thanks!

4 Likes

Very cool! :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Gosh, this is amazing! Does it actually shred? I was thinking when it happened that we were going to start to see shredded paintings on display–you really made it happen fast!

4 Likes

No, it doesn’t really shred. There’s a pre-shredded version of the image stored at the rear of the frame. When you push the two side slider tabs down, it hides the front (intact) graphic and exposes the rear (shredded) graphic. Everything is linked to one long strip of paper. And, of course, when you slide the tabs up, it hides the shredded copy and re-displays the intact copy.

11 Likes

Ouch! I’m torn between apologizing and becoming a fugitive from the law. :grin:

5 Likes

Very clever–I love it!

4 Likes

I saw you post this on GFUG on Facebook and I’ll say it again…it’s fabulous. I went to the Thingverse website that you linked and looked at all the photos and the Youtube video. It’s SO cool. Now, I’m really intrigued and think I’ll give it a try myself. I’m really glad you posted it on here also…so many more people need to see what you make.

3 Likes

What a fantastic scene you’ve put together! The silhouettes really draw my eyes to what’s going on in the frame.

6 Likes

What a great centerpiece for a party. Everyone bring the things that are treasured but bring pain and suffering and are hard to let go. Pictures, diplomas, bills.

Banksy definitely hit the subversion train here and what a great interpretation of it.

3 Likes

The finished piece is great - a really inventive way of recycling the idea - i like it a lot.

2 Likes

Thank you, Dan! And thank you for making this awesome laser that enables me to make such fun stuff!

1 Like

@snowgrains…this has really hit a chord with me for some reason and I’m going to make a cardboard prototype and see if I can get it to work. I was intrigued by this anonymous artist, ‘Banksy’ so read quite a bit about him online. I was amazed by the story of the artwork with the girl and the balloon and how it came to be so famous. I am going to use the Youtube video to help me figure out the basic construction. Once I get that part down, and the mechanism figured out for the rollers, I can work on the finer features and finishes. Thanks again!

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the kind words! Banksy is someone I’ve followed for years and always loved his blend of mystery, social commentary and outright showmanship. I love how he created a bit of art history last October, and it’s really fun to be able to replicate it in miniature with a Glowforge in your toolset. I wish you luck on your creative expedition!

1 Like

Awesome

3 Likes

Love these! Especially the girl.

1 Like