Self Adhesive Wood Veneers

Saw these at Target. Thought they would be fun to laser. Any ideas if the glue is safe?

39 Likes

It should be. Do a burn test to be sure! Looks like fun, off to target…

1 Like

looks like I’m going to Target.

2 Likes

Out of likes for a while…My guess is they probably don’t have enough adhesive to worry about. All Proof-Grade materials will have masking paper with a bit of adhesive. I will look into these since I will likely be using veneers as well. Thanks for posting these @bwente. :+1: - Rich

4 Likes

The 3M MSDS on pressure sensitive adhesive is that is acrylic (100%). The decomposition products are:
Hydrocarbons
Carbon monoxide
Carbon dioxide

There is no flash point or other hazards. I would guess most PSAs are the same…pretty inocuous, but vent the stuff out the window or through your filter. - Rich

Edit: This is the same stuff that comes out the tail pipes of most cars. You’ll get more of these same chemicals coming off off the lasered wood than you will from the adhesive.

12 Likes

FUN!! Definitely want to try these!

1 Like

:smiley: So, so, so good.

1 Like

I just saw those this past weekend! I also saw many laser cut wood crafts in the same area.

I almost picked up a pack of the veneer, but all were pealing away from their backing which gave me pause.

3 Likes

I took a look and passed. At my Target every package looked old and brittle.

1 Like

Good reason to pass them up, especially if you are veneering curves. - Rich

1 Like

Welcome to the “regular” club!

1 Like

:grinning: - Rich

I would generally avoid target for art- and craft-supplies, unless you are in a pinch or are snatching up clearance items.
For something with an adhesive backing, you want fresh stock. The adhesives deteriorate over time. You are more likely to have fresh and rotated stock at an art supplier than at a bigbox/grocery/department store.

5 Likes

Good to know forgers! Thanks for checking it out. Probably will order from Amazon anyway. Unless proofgrade will ship with GlowPrime™.

Here is what ponoko doing with veneers.
http://www.ponoko.com/blog/2016/05/30/3-new-laser-cut-materials-to-inspire-new-projects-peel-stick-veneers/

4 Likes

You can avoid lasering the mystery adhesive by adding the adhesive after with a Xyron. I use one extensively with my Silhouette Cameo. It’ll take anything flat.

https://www.xyron.com/en-us/new-creative-station/

5 Likes

whoa, that’s cool. at first i was like oh geez another expensive machine, but it seems pretty reasonable, and cleaner than a spray.

1 Like

For both your workbench and your lungs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There’s also a choice of permanent or repositionable adhesive.

1 Like

That looks interesting. I like the laminate + magnet option.

1 Like