Self-sorting ball bearing storage box

I have some assorted size ball bearings that I used to keep in a plastic box, which had separate compartments for each size. One day the unthinkable happened- I dropped the box and they went rolling all over the floor! After picking them all up with a magnet, I didn’t want to sort them all manually, so naturally I had to create a sorting box on my GF to do it :grin:.

It has compartments for each size ball. The walls separating them have gaps at the bottom that are just the right size to let some balls roll through, but not all. It also has removable partitions that block the gaps that can be inserted after the sorting to keep all of the balls in their correct places.

55 Likes

Great example of :glowforge: to the rescue with a practical cut, wonderful creativity and implementation on your part.

10 Likes

Wonderful idea, brilliantly executed!

9 Likes

The name of the post reminded me of this ingenious Lego vacuum sorting contraption . It’s in Norwegian but you can fast forward and see it in action https://youtu.be/IMhbPJ116H8

15 Likes

Nice job!

6 Likes

GF to the rescue; what a great idea! I suddenly feel the need to go sort beads…

[too early in the morning, not enough coffee]

8 Likes

Making art is great, but making a solution to a problem is where I find great satisfaction. Nice one there!

13 Likes

Very ingenious! I would be more tempted just to play with it and would be constantly putting the ball bearings in it just to watch it sort!

9 Likes

very effective!

I am trying to decide how to set up a screw sorter to make quick work of the random containers of screws that somehow seem to multiply around my shop over the years.

8 Likes

I made the mistake of buying one of those revolving bins for hardware organization, thinking of what to do with that problem. I just neglected to figure in the final price of having to individually sort a bucket full of loose random hardware piece by piece… :expressionless:

8 Likes

I love the creativity of this.

3 Likes

EXACTLY!!!

omg it is such a pain in the butt!

when you have machine screws, sheet metal screws wood screws, self tapping screws and on and on.

does it become watching TV and sorting?

There just has to be a way to do it. I am not even averse to making it vibrate and spin, etc. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I surrendered and each day I enjoyed a beer in the evening and spent that time - wood screw, machine screw, washer, nut sheet metal. Screw, lag bolt…
It took a little more than a week, but eventually achieved it.
TV time is a good option I think.

It will be worth it… In hindsight. Sure beats scratching through all of it. Before, I would spread out a towel and dump half the bucket to find what I was after and then gather the corners of the towel and dump it all back into the bucket, which worked reasonably well.

7 Likes

but but but…

it just isn’t as cool as solving the problem with LASERS!!!

LOL

5 Likes

As a software engineer, I agree. Even if it takes longer to build the automated solution than to just do it manually, it feels more efficient :rofl:

5 Likes

So true,

the 3 days I spent writing that code, doesn’t count. it was research!

fourteen trial and error mockups of the design so the bolts/nuts/screws go the right direction? of course that doesn’t count that was the design phase :slight_smile:

6 Likes