Selling Files/Providing Support

Hey, all - as many of you have, I just put up my first file for sale on Etsy, and I have a Q. As I’m sure you do, I followed what seems to be standard language, posting thusly:

This listing is for a digital file package - no physical delivery is offered. This digital download package contains files in the following formats:

• SVG
  • EPS
  • DXF
  • PNG (300 DPI, transparent background)

The files can be manipulated in compatible image editing software. Vector files may be resized, stroke weights changed, etc. and may be converted to new formats. The buyer is responsible for verifying their ability to work with the included files prior to purchase.

This design is best suited for:

• printing (on paper, fabric, etc.)
  • etching (chemical, abrasive)
  • scoring (laser)
  • engraving (laser, CNC)

Due to the complex nature of the design, it may not be suitable for cutting.

While it seems complete, I’m sure a naive soul (or jerk) will still cry foul for some reason. How often do you get negative feedback or help requests from digital file buyers?

5 Likes

I’ve added .AI and PDF versions in my digital downloads, as sometimes Inkscape messes with my SVG files. I’d also put in the usage rights. Can they make as many of these as they want? Can they sell these commercially? Can they re-sell modifications of the digital files?

4 Likes

I might put in the PDF. I’m not sure why my brain is resistant to the AI going in.

The “LICENSE AND USAGE” file states:

LICENSE AND USE

The files contained herein are copyright Small Arts Media 2020.

You may:

• use these files to create items for personal use
  • use these files to create finished items to sell

You may not:

• use the artwork for any other purpose
  • resell this digital file in any format
  • share, distribute or sell this file or any part of this file in any way
  • upload images to “print on demand” sites such as Zazzle and Café Press or similar sites

WARRANTY

Every effort has been made to see that these files are free from defect under normal use. No warranty is implied or granted. Due to the digital nature of this product, we do not offer refunds or exchanges once purchased.

5 Likes

At the urging of a friend, I amended the approved usage:

You may:

• use these files to create items for personal use
  • use these files to create finished items to sell
  • tattoo this design on your body
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.