Settings for Cutting/Scoring Corrugated Cardboard

That’s how they getcha! :smile:

6 Likes

Instructions unclear. Are we to ignore the comment or the thread? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

My settings are slightly different that the final settings above, but as I’ve run into a number of people commenting that they still can’t do living hinges in cardboard and with the settings below I’ve never had a problem I thought I’d share - plus the engrave setting which isn’t above :slight_smile:

Amazon boxes/ULINE .15 Settings
Cut
Speed 180
Power 60

Score
Speed 300
Power 15

Engrave
Speed 1000
Power 65
LPI 125

12 Likes

Thank you so much! These settings worked perfectly for me! (It was my first time cutting cardboard so I was nervous to try without any directions.

2 Likes

Glad it was helpful! I still use those settings, or something pretty close, for most of my cardboard work. :slightly_smiling_face:

I came here too because I was a Nervous Nellie!

1 Like

Your settings worked for me! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

That looks great, not the burnt edges that I get. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hello! Beginner here lol. Could you be more specific on the settings you used for engraving for power and speed? Did you use 3 for power and 100 for speed? Love your design by the way! :slight_smile:

Yes, the 3 is the power and 100 is the speed. A speed of three would mean the laser head is barely moving and it would catch most material on fire. :slight_smile:

1 Like

(… and 100 is the minimum speed)

When cutting cardboard, I am seeing people are using magnets to hold down the material! I thought we are not supposed to use magnets inside the machine. Am I missing something here? I just don’t want to cause cutting problems. Thanks!

Some people do still use them, and strong ones can cause issues with the head. (So I don’t use magnets. The honeycomb pins work great to keep cardboard locked down.)

1 Like

I wonder if the support team came out and suggested that magnets not be used anymore, if the problems would be less. Seems like many forgers don’t know not to use magnets. I am new, so I will use the pins and figure out different holding methods.

I haven’t seen anything prohibiting magnets. I use small 1/4 x 1/4 magnets for holding material, but they are only good for about 1/8 inch thick material and they aren’t very strong. The head can run right over the top of them and not even notice. It is the large strong magnets that cause issues since they disrupt the motors on the head carrier and in the head.

2 Likes

I haven’t used magnets in over a year. The one time they messed up my print I took them out never to use them again. Why take the chance? I use the honeycomb pins with cardboard all the time.

Non-neodymium magnets are fine for holding down paper, cardstock or thin fabric.
So they’re not completely forbidden, just not practical when they get too close to the head.

(They probably should toss a warning into the documentation though if they don’t have one in there. I haven’t checked the latest in a while.)

1 Like

Posted in 2017 and this just saved my booty in 22’! Thank you!

2 Likes

You know there are proofgrade settings for cardboard??

4 Likes

Do now, and thanks! I was looking for .12" specifically as well as .25". Do not want to mess around and play with settings for this one.