Settings for Engraving on Slate

Wowee! This looks amazing!

1 Like

Whoa, that’s both creepy and awesome!

2 Likes

I feel like that’s the look I get when I have upset the wife.

6 Likes

my question is that how do you vary power when slate is a non proof grade material, its not showing up on my settings

In manual settings you can always set vary power. If you’re using a proofgrade setting it is called “3d engrave” and its only available for certain materials I think.

Switch to manual is my advice. Proofgrade settings are training wheels that can get changed out behind your back.

3 Likes

I am in manual settings and there is the normal choices but the ‘dots, patterns or vary’ are gone . Just LPI , passes and focal height.

Won’t work on vector elements. Has to be rasterized.

3 Likes

Fyi. 500 speed, full power, 3 passes… is awesome!

You can actually get measurably depth.

18 Likes

Good morning everyone, I could really use some help. Please, how to find images and once I have one that I want how to change grayscale etc. do I need any special programs. Also I see a lot of people posting that they use very, what is that. I’m “Vary” new to this so please be patient with me. Thanks to all, Dave.

2 Likes

Welcome, @eisler500!

I would suggest starting here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/welcome-to-the-glowforge-app-and-your-first-prints

There are several topics in the list that address photo engraves and settings, and walking through all of the sections will provide a good basic understanding of your machine and how to use it, so you can move on to creating new masterpieces.

Have fun!

8 Likes

Awesome thanks

1 Like

Hey Dave, you might want to edit the signature on your email so that your phone number doesn’t post here. (For your own security.)

You can edit your response above by clicking the Edit (pencil) icon. It might be hidden in the three dots. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks I keep forgetting to

Dave Eisler

Edited the post for you to remove the phone number.

3 Likes

Great settings in the original post! 905 speed, 30 power, 270 lpi. Mineral oil before engraving.

14 Likes

That is awesome!

1 Like

as a fellow Ohio resident, this is amazing. Going to see if I can find an old map of my town once my forge gets shipped

1 Like

What settings did you use ?

?

6 Likes

Thanks!!