Settings for Transparent Wood

I can’t wait to do a comprehensive material setting test on this stuff:

Optimistically considering moving this to Beyond the Manual as a placeholder. :grin:

9 Likes

Shoot! What a letdown! I saw that and thought you had gotten your hands on some! :smile:

Yeah, I want to play with that too one day.

2 Likes

NileRed did a video on it a couple of years ago…

(AvE did as well, but I know he’s an acquired taste…)

4 Likes

Oooooo, sadly looks like the current incarnation may not be laserable :sob: “the wood is penetrated with a synthetic polymer called polyvinyl alcohol”.

There are so many fun new building materials in development. This wood reminds me of translucent concrete :heart_eyes:.

3 Likes

Which episode of Star Trek is this?

9 Likes

If I am remembering correctly, polyvinyl alcohol does not contain chlorine. It’s the chlorine in “vinyl” (polyvinyl chloride) that is generally involved in HCl acid production. IANAC (I Am Not A Chemist) though.

As an alternative, if the process can be made easy enough for home shops, cut first, then make transparent?

7 Likes

It’s the fourth movie, Star Trek: The Voyage Home, that has the transparent aluminum bit.

3 Likes

“Computer? Hellooo, computer.”

5 Likes

I really wish I could set everything up to answer to the same wake up as I often talk to my computers but sometimes get confused about the wake up where I am at. Just today I was in the truck on the way to work and said “computer” several times and was getting frustrated when I realized that it was the wrong wake up. Took a breath and said “okay Google” and all was well.

3 Likes

You can with Amazon Echo/Alexa.

Right, I have those swapped over but the phone /Google won’t let me swap out the wake-up.

1 Like

Since the wife started working from home we were told to unplug those devices.

1 Like

“The wife asked me why I was speaking so softly, I said I didn’t want Alexi to hear me. She laughed, I laughed, Alexi laughed.”

10 Likes

Oh, a keyboard. How quaint.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.