Setup for Multiples with Both Sides Etched

The design of the second side will need to be positioned accurately regardless of when the cuts are made. If the camera-based alignment needs cuts made in the first setup to register the second setup, and if the rectangular perimeter cut isn’t sufficient (because the accuracy is so abysmal in the periphery of the image) perhaps adding two small features into the middle might be helpful. For instance, two small circular cuts in the waste material could be used to align the second setup, and if they’re in the center-ish of the camera’s FOV, they should be just as good as using the tokens.

Takitus has said that he puts tape down on the bed and then engraves lines onto it as a quick and dirty (and effective) alignment guide. In a situation where a fixture is required, that sounds easier than trying to use tape to reattach every batch of tokens after cutting them out in the first setup.

Those tokens I did on a piece cut to 17", to preserve the periphery that is unreachable on a 20" piece into one useable piece. 17" will accommodate 77 units at 1-1/2".
I did one thousand of them etching both sides with perfect results.
Register the board to the honeycomb with tape or magnets and as Jules described set up the file with both sides superimposed in different colors.
Ignore one side, engrave the other and cut. Flip the individual units in the hole they were cut from and finish.

Note - don’t be concerned with the apparent displacement you see in the bed image after you flip and the bed is reimaged. As long as the board hasn’t moved it will engrave perfectly.

@marmak3261 set me up with that workflow, and I am forever grateful.

8 Likes